finally installed my ford taurus fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > finally installed my ford taurus fan

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

finally installed my ford taurus fan

so last week, i picked up a fan out of an older taurus w/ the 3.8L engine. tried to choose a vehicle with the lowest mileage. was really quick and easy. IIRC, all thats needed are a 8mm & 7/16 socket, and some wire cutters. 10mins later, i was out of the pick-a-part place, costing me $30. actually i incurred an additional $10 expense because i had to buy a cheap pair of shoes (since i was wearing flip-flops) to be admitted into the junk yard.

since i didn't have the high amp relay, i only wired up the fan to the low speed setting and so far, its been running like a champ, at just a hair under 210F. the good thing about going with this the taurus fan+shroud is that it takes up a lot less space. if you take a look at the pics below, notice the clearance from the fan to the engine. changing the serpentine belt will now be only a 5min job, if not less! i had to fabricate some braces to hold the fan in place.

Unread 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Why do people put a Taurus Fan into their Jeeps? Im trying to figure this out? Does your jeep not have a fan? Mine is clutched . Whats the whole deal behind it. Im just wondering. I have a Taurus and the only thing I notice is that it cuts on and off instead of running all the time like the one in my jeep does, but the one in my jeep speeds up when needed
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveah View Post
Why do people put a Taurus Fan into their Jeeps? Im trying to figure this out? Does your jeep not have a fan? Mine is clutched . Whats the whole deal behind it. Im just wondering. I have a Taurus and the only thing I notice is that it cuts on and off instead of running all the time like the one in my jeep does, but the one in my jeep speeds up when needed
Some do it to try to fix overheating problems, although if your stock setup is running correctly theres no need to do so. Mine runs right below 210 constantly with the clutch fan. (even at 96 out the other day with the a/c on it never got above 210)

Supposed to increase hp a little as well. Ill stick to the clutch fan..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

the taurus fans seems to be a popular upgrade for jeeps, race cars, and trucks that tend to run hot whether it be from offroading, towing, or a heavily modified race engine. the reasong being is 1) its cheap, around $10-50 used or from junk yards, and readily available 2) very high flowing 2-speed fan -- high runs at 4000cfm! (unlike the stock WJ fan which is only a single speed slow ~ 2000cfm fan)
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joe- View Post
Some do it to try to fix overheating problems, although if your stock setup is running correctly theres no need to do so. Mine runs right below 210 constantly with the clutch fan. (even at 96 out the other day with the a/c on it never got above 210)

Supposed to increase hp a little as well. Ill stick to the clutch fan..
well i bought my WJ used and it didn't come with a clutch fan, even if i have the tow package. so with that said, my oem electric fan was dying on me and not cooling adequately. i've already done lots of other repairs to address my past overheating issues --- new radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, AND i even replaced the head gasket! since the e-fan was in need of replacement, what better excuse to go with a BETTER and CHEAPER option.
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Come to think of it, my 91 Taurus has a hell of a fan. When it kicks on you can feel the draft just by stepping your foot out the driver door, a HOT draft in deed and the fan still works great!
Unread 08-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
sandman
1993 ZJ 

plus getting rid of the clutch fan frees up unspung weight.
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
plus getting rid of the clutch fan frees up unspung weight.

UNsprung weight? That is weight that is not resting on the springs. A fan is considered SPRUNG weight.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
rubbersidedown
1999 WJ 

did you bolt the straps over the top through the rad?
rubbersidedown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did install the Taurus fan on my 93 ZJ, 4.0L, works fine on low except for the A/C, temp goes above 210 when A/C is on.

I dont know how it will be with the Hi speed on (my fan did not work on hi, I have to redo the wiring).
I am wondering what is the alternator amps rating should be to have this fan work properly and efficiant?

Overall I see the Taurus fan is worth installing on any type vehicle.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
did you bolt the straps over the top through the rad?
no, the bolts DO NOT go through the radiator. basically i bent the steel straps into a u-shape to rest on top of the radiator. its very secure though, especially with the addition of the side straps attached as well
Unread 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
sandman
1993 ZJ 

unsprung weight. guess i got my terms mixed up, whatever you call weight that has to be spun.

does your engine run stronger?
Unread 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
unsprung weight. guess i got my terms mixed up, whatever you call weight that has to be spun.

does your engine run stronger?
its really hard to tell how much improvement in performance this specifically has, especially since i also just recently upgraded my exhaust manifold to headers. but yeah, it sure feels like the temps are finally controlled and power delivery is more consistent. i need to observe it more, especially later this week as our temps approach 100F. but if anyone is in the situation where they need to replace their stock electric fan, or just need more cooling in the engine bay, then i highly recommend this solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.