A few things thats caught my concern after the trans swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A few things thats caught my concern after the trans swap

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

A few things thats caught my concern after the trans swap

94 zj 4.0l 6cyl engine auto trans
After getting the last junk yard trans up into the jeep I filled it up with trans fluid took about 10 quarts plus the 2 in the torque converter, and she starts up and drives, some of the things that have been puzzling me are:

#1 the trans gasket seems to have fluid on the lip of the gasket even after i wiped it, drove around my complex and checks where it was coming from!
At first i expected a line might not have been tight enough but thats not the case its seems like its coming off of the gasket which by the way is new!

#2 putting the jeep in reverse sometimes makes a clunk, or at least i heard it once, couldn't get it to make the noise twice.

#3 the driving seems to go be ok but a lil less drive then I expected... and what i mean by that is.... when i put the jeep in drive im use to a slight lunge forward, and Im feeling like it really only lounges back... when i put it in reverse but not in drive..

#4 Before i did the trans swap my gear shifter would also line up just about perfect when i was in: D,R,N,1,2. But now it slightly seems off. Dont know if thats a problem or not but figure i should mention it.

I could be rambling about nothing but i want to be sure before i take this bad girl on a real run!! I was thinking to change the fluid again, because i put a can of trans tune when i filled up the trans just in case i got any water on the inside, that said it would clean it out!

Im trying to account for certain possibilities also like my muffler systems sucks needs to be done over everything is just old and ate up so!

SINCITY192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

1. did you use a torque wrench on the pan bolts? over tightening them or under tightening them can lead to leaks like that.
2. check u-joints and backlash in the diff
3. the torque converter is probably spinning more freely
4. adjust the shift linkage, at the transmission.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

1. No I didn't and I think that's it on the money because the pan gasket is squeezed a little.
2. I have no idea what that means, whats back lash!! these u-joints have been on since i brought the thing and on cap was cracked on it if i recall!
3. what does this mean?
4. OK i will do it.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Is there a thread somewhere on how to adjust the shift linkage on the tranny? I need to do that on mine. I've had no luck finding info on it.

Sent from something using JeepForum
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCITY192 View Post
1. No I didn't and I think that's it on the money because the pan gasket is squeezed a little.
2. I have no idea what that means, whats back lash!! these u-joints have been on since i brought the thing and on cap was cracked on it if i recall!
3. what does this mean?
4. OK i will do it.
any damage or play in a u-joint and it should be replaced asap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetammon View Post
Is there a thread somewhere on how to adjust the shift linkage on the tranny? I need to do that on mine. I've had no luck finding info on it.

youtube has some excellent tutorials on it. as well as adjusting the tv cable.

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
any damage or play in a u-joint and it should be replaced asap...

youtube has some excellent tutorials on it. as well as adjusting the tv cable.
Sweet! Ill check it out, I've adjusted my tv cable already. I just have problems where I have to push the shifter forward (when it's already in park) to start the engine.

thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

Hey I bad news and I could really use some help with this guys.
I test drove it longer last night and I made sure the trans was nice and hot. I started smelling trans fluid at first, but after checking under the jeep didn't see any puddles so I figured maybe it smelled like that because of the over tightened gaskets, but still none was on the floor so I was questioning whether or not that was it. After I knew it was hot I drove back home and when I went to go into reverse, it started to shake and shut off on me. So restarted it and gased it and it went back into my parking spot? Any advice this is my second junk yard trans!!! Anyone know what cause this?
It doesn't do it when the jeep is cold.
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Torque converter.
Always use a new one and always flush the transmission coolers.

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Torque converter.
Always use a new one and always flush the transmission coolers.
Hey ratmonkey I used a brand new torque converter on this transmission and I used a compressor to blow out the lines!!!! Where does that leave me?
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Sounds like debris is the converter or you've possibly got rear band issues.

You need to use a solvent when cleaning the coolers, air alone wont do the job

Unread 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

So how do you suggest I clean it with solvents? Not really sure of the procedure, I was told air would do it but I knew that sounded to good to be true...
Debris in the converter would be hard has I kept it covered until I filled it up and after immediately put it on and with all the practice (taking transmissions off and on) it went pretty smooth, made sure it was completely engaged and fully seated before mounting up the engine! Im all for mistakes that come from me but on this occasion I would have to go for the band issues, mainly because I sought of feel what I can only describe as slips in the first 2 shifts, but their really not that bad, plus if I feather the gas it wont even slip, only slips if I floor it. Besides that I have to put a new gasket on it and use a torque wrench so I don't over tighten it. (I think that's the source of the trans fluid smell im getting when hot)
so far I have been driving it short trips and unfortunately it hasn't happened again, I don't think it has gotten hot enough yet. But I would like to make sure the cooler is definitely clean any ways on getting that done and the "how to" would be great.
I know for sure there are things I need to fix with the jeep since its been sitting like the whole muffler system, and the driveshaft u-joints, and a slight air leak, but I need to be sure before I spend the money on these parts that my trans is fixed, I would hate to spend the money and then this trans goes!!!
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCITY192 View Post
So how do you suggest I clean it with solvents?
Isn't it internal to the radiator?
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

hey ratmonkey do you know how I could clean it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.