A few questions on power steering pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A few questions on power steering pump

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
speedbullet2
1996 ZJ 

A few questions on power steering pump

Ok so my GC is at the shop getting a power steering pump put in cause i broke mine twice so i just towed to to have it fixed.

Here are the ?'s

1. He wants to know if i have SBS which my build sheet says i do but i have no clue if any1 has better info on this with pictures to tell if i have it or not would be great then i could print them out and go compare to see if i do have this.

2. Same thing here only he wants to know if its EVO ???? can someone tell me what this is and include pics of it as well i dont know if mine has this or not either.

Thanks all in advance for the help!

FUTURE MODS
Trailready front and rear bumpers with winch. Roof rack. KOR light bar with 4 lights. 2 lights, shovel, and a high lift jack mounted to roof rack.

Last edited by speedbullet2; 01-21-2008 at 01:00 PM..
speedbullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
speedbullet2
1996 ZJ 

Speed Proportional Steering i need a picture of the wire harness to pump if i can get a pic of where the harness comes from and where it hooks up would be awsome i googled for one but was unable to find any thanks all.
FUTURE MODS
Trailready front and rear bumpers with winch. Roof rack. KOR light bar with 4 lights. 2 lights, shovel, and a high lift jack mounted to roof rack.
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
speedbullet2
1996 ZJ 

If anyone has speed proportional steering please take a picture of your pump close up and wiring harness that connects to it please
FUTURE MODS
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I cannot help you on the photos since I know that my ZJ does not have a variable assist. I replaced that pump myself (with my brother) almost a year ago without issue.

My question is how did you kill two pumps? My first pump lasted 213K miles. My second one is still going a year later. I thoroughly expect to never need to do that pump swap on the ZJ ever again. These are pretty strong pumps.

Tell him to take the pump with him when he buys the new one. You should be able to compare the two at time of purchase to ensure that they are the same. That is what I would do.
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
speedbullet2
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman
I cannot help you on the photos since I know that my ZJ does not have a variable assist. I replaced that pump myself (with my brother) almost a year ago without issue.

My question is how did you kill two pumps? My first pump lasted 213K miles. My second one is still going a year later. I thoroughly expect to never need to do that pump swap on the ZJ ever again. These are pretty strong pumps.

"ANSWER: Well the aluminum mounting bracket behind the pump broke and i didnt notice it until it "hurt" the bearing in the pump that was in there which is a none variable assist pump, the dude that i bought it from had to have replaced it sometime and he didnt put the right one in it my build sheet says it has the speed proportional steering but the pump had reman numbers and was not the sps pump.

Anyways so i ordered the wrong pump as a replacement cause i didnt really care at the time i just needed my wheels got the part the next day went to install the bracket and pump got the bracket on then was putting the pump on and put very pressure on the bolts torquing them down and boom this tab broke off ill include image so needless to say two pumps died "

Tell him to take the pump with him when he buys the new one. You should be able to compare the two at time of purchase to ensure that they are the same. That is what I would do.
Ya it had the wrong pump on it to begin with but he found a sps one and its on the way to be installed and if he breaks it i wont have to replace it this time

Image :
FUTURE MODS

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.