few questions. calling knowledge on magnet mount cb's, cooling systems, windows, ect - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > few questions. calling knowledge on magnet mount cb's, cooling systems, windows, ect

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
fivespeedsteed

few questions. calling knowledge on magnet mount cb's, cooling systems, windows, ect

alright so this weekend i went home from school so i could have some tools to work with and get stuff done.

first off before my trip home, i have been looking at just getting a magnet mount cb antenna (all i need to complete the build of my cb is an ant.) but my roomate has one that i think is from wallmart or something, and he constantly knocks it over going under trees and hitting it on branches, do the higer quality ones you get on wallcott (wilsons, ect,) have a stronger magnet on them? i noticed a few poeple on this board have magnet mounts, and i figured they wouldnt get them if they fell over allot. my roomate has a 4 runner with a sunroof, so he can just put his hand out of the sunroof and get it back up, but i dont have one, so id have to get out and stand it back up... and if i get a firestik, do i need a spring to compensate for it getting hit? and if i did it would be mounted above the taillight probably, so would a 4' one be allot better than a 3'?

also, i noticed it overheating one day before going home, and i saw my fan wasnt on. i got 12 gauge prelim. wire and held it in the clip, and had a friend touch it to battery, and it started spinning. so that meant relay.. so this weekend i got the headlight out, cut the hole to get to the relay, and swapped it out with one that was about 55 dollars from advance. before buttoning it all back up, i started it and let it get up to temp and the fan came on. i figured it was jackpot, so i put her all back together and went on with my life. well i let it sit and idle for a bit one time over the weekend before coming back to school and i got in it and it was at 3/4 on the gauge, so i guess around 235 or so. i should have checked the fan at that point, but i didnt, i have replaced the engine due to the previous owner overheating the living daylights out of it, and i dont wanna warp anything so i just killed it. i then turned it on after 5 or so minutes and looked at the fan and the damn thing was spinning. (so why in the name of all things holy is it hot?) so now when i sit for a minute or so it will kinda get hot by 5 or 10 minutes, and then i start driving and it will get more cool than before, like 10-15 degrees below where it normally runs, so is the fan coming on at the wrong time? or is it not spinning as hard as it should. i remember when it worked i could here it click on and make the whirring noise a fan makes, but i havent exactly heard that since i fixed it. so what do you recommend is wrong? i want to drive this money pit down the beach this summer and not over heat. its not gonna do it when it cant idle for 10 mintues in high 70's weather... what else is there to check? have i killed half of the motor in the fan? is it cause its not a mopar relay? and yeah theres plenty of coolant.

and my window, drivers window, when you get it halfway down or so, and you hit the button to go up, it kinda clicks, like theres slack in the rod or soemthing thats attached to the window. what is this?

when im sitting still and i turn the wheel back and forth a little sometimes it will click, and thers some play in the wheel. what do i check, tie rods, and stuff? ive heard it can be the pittman arm. what is this? just give me somewhere to start so i can go track that down.

starting to think that getting the Chrysler re-manufactured engine for 5k was a mistake because of the money i have invested in it now. things need to stop breaking. my roomate bashes on his 4 runner basically, and nothing breaks. i dont get it. why cant my friggen electric fan just work.

thanks for your help and sorry it was so long. avoid bashing and flaming if possible..

cliffs- are magnet mount cb antennas that are higher quality have a stronger magnet than radioshack, offbrand ones, and cars still heating up past 210 after replaceing relay and fans coming on..

edit: and for the record, the motor was replaced because it kept mixing coolant and oil, even after i did the headgasket. i think the deck was warped or a water jacket was cracked somewhere.

2001 Yamaha Waverunner gp1200r

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 04-13-2008 at 09:55 PM..
fivespeedsteed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Well first things first, when you drive a vehicle with 120k on it, you have to expect a little extra maintenance. Don't let the fact that your roommate's 4Runner hasn't broken yet get you down, stuff happens. All that beating will catch up to him in time.

The window issue sounds like it could possibly be a regulator on the way out. You could pull the door panel to check it, but if I were you I would probably just wait until it broke

As for the steering click, have someone replicate the noise and move the wheel while your stick your head under the Jeep and look. You'll be able to see what moves and and what has play in it causing your noise. Sounds like it could be the track bar. If you don't know the name of something yet, don't worry yourself too much with it until you think it might be a problem. As I said, if you can get it to make the noise while your looking at it, you can see exactly what it is and then post a picture on here and we'll tell you what it is. If you want, you can re-torque all steering-related bolts to factory specs to clear up anything that might be loose.

For the magnet antennae, meh I'd just get a "real" one and a mount. Never been a huge fan of magnets personally. For what it's worth, my buddy had a good quality magnet mount antennae on his Xterra (don't' remember the brand, but I remember it wasn't cheap) and he never had any problems knocking it off on branches.

Can't help you on the fan problems at all...
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
fivespeedsteed

thank you my man. your dub looks great by the way ive seen it over on jeepsunlimited. i like your 3 hellas on the bumper.

anymore?

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 04-13-2008 at 11:05 PM..
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
thank you my man. your dub looks great by the way ive seen it over on jeepsunlimited. i like your 3 hellas on the bumper.

anymore?
I don't have anything on my bumper except pollen. I've seen someone on here with the same color WJ as me with 3 Hellas but I can't think of who it is.
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
fivespeedsteed

oh my now i feel real dumb. yeah i was thinking of bamawj. he has an 04 too. yesterday was a long day.

sorry.

anyone answer my cooling q's?
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Skip the magnet mount antenna. I just got rid of mine for a 3' firestick mounted over the tail light. I got tired of my antenna getting knocked off by tree limbs.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You can get a mag mount from Walcott or other sites, and some of them will smash the crap outta your finger if you're not careful putting it on.

However, trees are very good at dislodging even the strongest antenna - remember when I said it can smash your finger? It can put a nice indent in your roof too. Magnets like to stick, so they're going to go back to where they were with gusto.

If you're set on using a mag mount, use a rubber duck antenna. Short and flexible, and they do fine for close-in communications.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Mag mounts are not good in performance, honestly.. I agree with Jim, they can do more damage in the long run than benefit when you actualy need it in a trail emergency.
The magnets accumulate metalic dust, and everytime you take it off or put on, you are smashing the particles in between the body and the magned, not only ruining the clearcoat, but will eventually create peeling bad enough leading too rust.
There are tons of mounts, and on a WJ it is even easier to mount them by the tail light.
If you are worried about hitting it, look for a real good antenna.... The trusty K40 flex whip as in the picture, or the Wilson 1000.
Advantage of the K40 is that it comes off with a twist, and can be rail or trunk mounted.
Excellent antennas as far as performance.
dismountlarge-1-.jpg   k-40_big-1-.jpg  
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
fivespeedsteed

ok then ill go with a mount. i wasnt stuck on a magnet one. is a 4' firestik better than a 3' by allot?

i guess ill start a separate thread for the cooling issues.. mods delete it if you want bu ti havent had any luck in here.

and to keep this thread on the topic of cb antennas, either a 3 or 4 foot firestick, what is easier the jamb mount that curls out around the body, or a flatbar above the tail light? whats required for install, just sanding down where it mounts, drilling holes, and then what kind of screws?

do i need a spring for it? im not worried about a quick disconnect, just if i need a spring or not. id like to avoid it if i could, just so i wouldnt slap my body as much.
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Mast length depends on how high your mount is. You want the coarse coils on the mast sitting at about roof level to have a good ground plane. I prefer using a spring when I've got my mast on a solid mount. Saves the body panel quite a bit. I sure like my quick disco too. A 4 foot mast may be a bit easier to tune. I've got a 2-footer on mine right now, and tuning was very touchy.

To save the body from mast-whip, get a FIRESTIK spring...I can't stress this enough. The ones they sell at truck stops are 150% junk. Spring rate is too low, and they rust like nobody's business. I've lost 2 masts on the highway when the truckstop crap failed. Kinda scary when you look in your side mirror and see your mast flailing around like a toddler having a tantrum, look back to the road, look back in the mirror, and sucker's gone

A couple slits in a tennis ball and slide that over the mast will help too - padding if your antenna whips.

Unread 04-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
fivespeedsteed

oh so a stiff spring helps keep the mast upright more?
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Correct - protects the body panel and the mast without turning it into a swinging disaster. My old cheapo spring used to scare the hell out of spotters on the trail

Unread 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
fivespeedsteed

oh okay i didnt know that a spring would make it stiffer than if it had no spring. can we get some picutures of 3 and 4 foot firestiks? which is easier to mount, flatbar above the taillight, or this

http://www.walcottcb.com/product_inf...roducts_id=576

? the thing can be flipped 180 degrees so i could put it on my drivers side.

and am i correct its just sanding where you mount it, and screwign the mount in?
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

do not sand the paint off.
Mount the mount, and use a braided ground strap to ground the mount to the body.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
fivespeedsteed

is that included with the mount or will i habve to track it down, or buy it off wallcott?

what about the bolts?

also while i got this random thread goin. can someone explain or show me a write up of how to get the hvac knobs out. my low-high knob has the bulbs out. i wanna replace all of them in the hvac controls. and just need to know how to get it off.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 04-14-2008 at 11:25 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.