A few questions before lifting my 93 ZJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A few questions before lifting my 93 ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #61
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
Ok so I did some researching and adding and calculating and computing and all that stuff. Heres what I came up with.....

So-called "budget boost":

-Skyjacker 2.25" BB "kit" (I put kit in quotes because the "kit" only contains the spacers and shocks. Nothing else. Theres lots more needed to do the job so I can't call it a "kit" with a straight face.) Anywho, the "kit" with hydro shocks is $219.

-IRO front adjustable track bar, $139

-IRO rear track bar, $119

-JKS quick discos, $159

-rear extended swaybar links, $25

-new coil spring isolators, $25 front and $38 rear

-rear extended coil spring retainers, $29

-SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, $200 for all four

-Total cost, $953.00 before tax or shipping.

So now lets compare this to the cost of installing, for the sake of this comparison, an IRO "Benchmark" 3.5" lift:

-IRO "Benchmark" 3.5" lift kit, $449 (kit includes 2 new coil springs, adjustable double-shear track bar, hydro shocks, sway bar links, and all hardware)

-IRO rear adjustable track bar, $139

-JKS quick discos upgrade, $89

-coil spring isolators, $25 f and $38 r

-extended coil spring retainers, $29

Total cost, $969.00 before tax or shipping.

So, its a 2.25" budget boost with my old crusty springs for $953, or a 3.5" lift (1.25" taller) with 2 new coil springs, at least comparible shocks, and better adjustable track bars, for $969---- a whopping difference of $16. Yeah so, upon further investigation, I think I'll be going with the Benchmark.
Almost all of the things you accounted for in the BB calculation are not needed.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #62
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, now setting it up the best way and they way he wants is what brought the cost up
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #63
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Well, I understand ppl have different opinions on whats needed. IMO, everything I mentioned above is whats needed....... for me. I don't like to do things half-a**. So again IMO, the term "budget boost" simply means "doing the job half-a**."

But WhiteOut, since I'm a glutton for information, what items on my BB list do you feel are not needed, and why not?
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #64
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the info on the RC wheel spacers, I can save almost $100 right there over the SpiderTrax.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
-2.25" BB
(possibly front sway bar links)
bare minimum. The poly spacers and sway bar links.

Quote:
Well, I understand ppl have different opinions on whats needed. IMO, everything I mentioned above is whats needed....... for me. I don't like to do things half-a**. So again IMO, the term "budget boost" simply means "doing the job half-a**."
You really don't need quick discos if you're not going to wheel, they're just very convenient. I like them for that reason. Track bars, again not necessary, but I prefer my axles to be centered correctly and also they gave me the ability to jump up in lift without replacing. Coil isolator pads, only need to be replaced if yours are shot. Rear post extension are only required if you're ever going to be flexing your suspension. Same goes with shocks.

On the note of shocks, some people have had the bushings of the shocks fall apart on install (skyjacker specifically), so be aware and the possible need to have a back up.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the RC wheel spacers, I can save almost $100 right there over the SpiderTrax.
Welcome. Like I said if you want to wait a week I'll sell you mine at half the price. they've only been on my jeep for 2 weeks, but got a good deal on rims.

Last edited by tucsonzj; 05-24-2013 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: polka taught me something today
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #66
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You won't need rear extended sway bar end links at that height. I have the JKS discos and a front IRO double sheer track bar. I needed the front track bar to center the axle because the axle shifted over and the sway bar was hitting the stock track bar bracket and taking chunks of metal out of it. I have an ADDCO front sway bar. The rear is stock and you don't notice it. Never had any issues back there. I didn't extend the posts and have not had any problem with the coil coming unseated out on the rocks in Vegas.

If you don't wheel it often then the discos will probably be a waste of money since you can unbolt them.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #67
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

I do plan to hit the trails, and sometimes the trails I wanna hit are too rough for my stock-height ZJ..........and I hate looking at a trail and not being able to hit it. Some of those trails get kinda nasty but we're not talking Rubicon or rock-crawling. Basically, I want the Jeep set up to go where I wanna go. I don't mind spending some money to do it right, I just don't want to spend money I don't need to. I think I'll be happier with 3.5" of lift, new springs, good shocks, track bars, and tires. The little things like coil retainers and isolators and such are inexpensive enough that I'd rather just be safe than sorry.

So are the quick discos mostly for VERY serious wheelin' or would they come in handy on rough trails?
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #68
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Ok so I did some researching and adding and calculating and computing and all that stuff. Heres what I came up with.....

So-called "budget boost":

-Skyjacker 2.25" BB "kit" (I put kit in quotes because the "kit" only contains the spacers and shocks. Nothing else. Theres lots more needed to do the job so I can't call it a "kit" with a straight face.) Anywho, the "kit" with hydro shocks is $219.

-IRO front adjustable track bar, $139

-IRO rear track bar, $119

-JKS quick discos, $159

-rear extended swaybar links, $25

-new coil spring isolators, $25 front and $38 rear

-rear extended coil spring retainers, $29

-Total cost, $953.00 before tax or shipping.

So now lets compare this to the cost of installing, for the sake of this comparison, an IRO "Benchmark" 3.5" lift:

-IRO "Benchmark" 3.5" lift kit, $449 (kit includes 2 new coil springs, adjustable double-shear track bar, hydro shocks, sway bar links, and all hardware)

-IRO rear adjustable track bar, $139

-JKS quick discos upgrade, $89

-coil spring isolators, $25 f and $38 r

-extended coil spring retainers, $29

Total cost, $969.00 before tax or shipping.

So, its a 2.25" budget boost with my old crusty springs for $953, or a 3.5" lift (1.25" taller) with 2 new coil springs, at least comparible shocks, and better adjustable track bars, for $969---- a whopping difference of $16. Yeah so, upon further investigation, I think I'll be going with the Benchmark.
Rubicon Express budget boost (with twin tube shocks) $240
Longer rear sway bar links $10 (Chevy K1500 fronts)
Extend rear posts $10 (Exhuast tube)
Front bumpstops $4 Hockey pucks)
Adjust steering stops $0.50 (2 washers)

Total $264.50 Perfectly fine and able to wheel, carry a socket with you and disconnect the front sway bar if you really want to.

IRO Benchmark Kit $449.99
Bilstein Shock Upgrade $250.00
JKS Disconnects $89.99
Rear trackbar $139.99
New rear coils $119.99
Extend rear posts $10
Front bumpstops $4
Spacers $200

Total $1,263.96 Then add in the cost of some aftermarket arms.
Unread 05-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #69
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, if the quick disconnects aren't necessary for what I'm doing, then I'll probably skip em. I'm not sure I'm gonna be doing the sort of wheelin' that some of you guys do, and I carry a tool set in my Jeep so yeah, I suppose I could just pull the links if its ever an issue. However, I really like the idea of new track bars, or at least a front bar. New shocks are a MUST, mine are shot. Just about anything I slap under there is gonna be an improvement. My spring isolators look pretty sad too, so for what they cost I'm gonna put in new ones. Same for the spring retainers. Yeah, I can probably do this and save a bunch of money but I feel like I'm cutting corners if I do. I dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Whiteout, why did you list only rear extended sway bar links? Wouldnt I need fronts as well?
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #70
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, if the quick disconnects aren't necessary for what I'm doing, then I'll probably skip em. I'm not sure I'm gonna be doing the sort of wheelin' that some of you guys do, and I carry a tool set in my Jeep so yeah, I suppose I could just pull the links if its ever an issue. However, I really like the idea of new track bars, or at least a front bar. New shocks are a MUST, mine are shot. Just about anything I slap under there is gonna be an improvement. My spring isolators look pretty sad too, so for what they cost I'm gonna put in new ones. Same for the spring retainers. Yeah, I can probably do this and save a bunch of money but I feel like I'm cutting corners if I do. I dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Whiteout, why did you list only rear extended sway bar links? Wouldnt I need fronts as well?
I'm not a serious trailing person. Just find disconnects easy and then they're up and out of the way when I do wheel to give me more articulation. Know plenty of people who don't have quick discos and can trail it hard no problem.

Spring retainers are an extension, so your springs don't fall out. If you're doing 3.5" go new track bars all around IMO. Worth the investment to me.
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #71
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Not at BB height, it will move your sway bar angle out a bit, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Either way, you can save $30 by using some exhaust tube to lengthen the spring posts in the rear instead of buying the IRO ones. At the heights you are talking about, it is also fine to keep the stock bumpstops/spring post lengths and just add a hockey puck or two to spring perch. If the front jounce bumper is looking bad/disintegrating, it can be easily replaced.

For clarity. Spring retainer = little tab on spring perch, post = post coming down from the top.
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #72
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

I think I've got it narrowed down to this....

ZJ 3.5" Benchmark Series Lift Kit $449.99
Shocks: Hydro
Boots: Red $15.00
UP-Z3RSU new rear springs $99.99

IR-ZARTB ZJ Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Track Bar (w/hardware kit 13, 7/8-14 jam nut, & male end) $139.99

IR-XFCSI XJ / ZJ Coil Spring Isolator, pair $24.99

IR-XFCSI XJ / ZJ Coil Spring Isolator, pair $37.99

TO-XHDSS Tenneco Heavy Duty Steering Stabilizer (XJ/ZJ/TJ) $29.99
Boot: Red $3.99

JS-SABPE Shock Absorber "Bar Pin Eliminators" (JKS) $39.99

+ bump stops and rear spring retainer posts and other inexpensive incidentals notwithstanding

So? Will this get the job done? I think I'll just go with the IRO hydro shocks, I'm sure they'll do fine.
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #73
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

My biggest fear is "death wobble", don't wanna be havin' none of that stuff. Any advice to avoid that crap would be appreciated. And I don't think I'll need control arms, the stocks should be fine at this height. Right?
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #74
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My biggest fear is "death wobble", don't wanna be havin' none of that stuff. Any advice to avoid that crap would be appreciated. And I don't think I'll need control arms, the stocks should be fine at this height. Right?
stock CA's are fine. save up and upgrade to strong ones if you start doing a lot more wheeling or if you go up in lift height.

If you get DW you get it lol. Get an alignment done when you lift it. That's always step 1 if you end up getting DW.

Besides that make sure all steering components are proper torque and bushings aren't shot. torque specs. Depending on if you're install the lift yourself, or having it installed, make sure the caster is adjusted and the CA's are retorqued. Follow the install guides torque guidelines for all of their parts.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #75
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Don't bother with the shock boots, BPEs, steering stabilizer or the boot for that. Use the savings to upgrade the shocks to the DTs.

Get ready to find that the control arm bushings are shot, even if they are not, they will wear exponentially faster at the new angles. Get an alignment after you lift it. If you get death wobble, deal with it then (an alignment is not the first step or the cure).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.