A few questions before lifting my 93 ZJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A few questions before lifting my 93 ZJ

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I looked at the budget boost thing, but I think after 20 years and 155,000 miles, its probably time to go through the front end and change bushings and springs and stuff anyway. Its not a trailer queen, but I do like to take care of it and make it look nice. I'd rather not start cutting stuff up if I don't have to. I want the suspension to be better, not just higher. New springs and shocks and bushings and whatnot should do that-- a "BB lift" won't.

ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Ray-Ray
1993 ZJ 

Yeah sounds like your on a good track of mind. I would recomend replacing the control arm brushing though. When i replaced my control arms it made my truck drive sooooo much better. But with a 3.5 lift the drop kit and drive shafts will be ok. Track bar should be fine but you will need someone who is good with alignments on jeep. I would go to the dealer so if your not happy they have to do it for free and make sure its done well. I spent alot of time on the alignment rack with mine and it made a huge difference with how it drives down the road. No more "drunk jeep" as my lady calls it :-)
Ray-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Ray-Ray
1993 ZJ 

http://www.rocky-road.com/grandsus.html

Check out this sight it helped me you might find something you like there. I have there 4.5 trail blazer lift and it rides good and they have a good warranty
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Rocky Road is basically the worst site to get ANYTHING for a ZJ off.

Also, OME does not make a 3.5" or a 4.5" kit for the ZJ, despite what RRO would like to believe.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
Ray-Ray
1993 ZJ 

Alright rainbow man. Is that why the springs come in a OME box? With a OME warranty inside?
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Ray View Post
Alright rainbow man. Is that why the springs come in a OME box? With a OME warranty inside?
Here is your answer "Ray Ray". Try doing a little research next time. OME is 2.5" max that I have ever heard of.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...t-kit-1123963/
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #22
Ray-Ray
1993 ZJ 

Oh ok thanks
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That is definitely strange if they have the OME warranty and box but are not the true OME coils. How is that possible?
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Ray
They are OME 4.5" TJ coils and 4.5" TJ coils with a 1" spacer.
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
They are OME 4.5" TJ coils and 4.5" TJ coils with a 1" spacer.
Ahhh thanks. I didn't know OME made lifts that tall. Never thought about TJ's. I would never run TJ coils on a ZJ.
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

All the acronyms used on this website are driving me crazy. I'm assuming "OME" is "original manufacturer equipment"? (I've always referred to it as "OEM") I have no idea what "TJ" is, but I'd guess an aftermarket supplier. I'm really only looking at the Iron Rock Offroad 3.5" lift kit, the nicer and slightly more expensive of the two, and then adding the 2nd set of springs, better shocks, and whatever else I need to add to make the Jeep a better ride. And thats where your advice comes in.
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

OME is Old Man Emu, very highly regarded offroad company that makes very good parts.

TJ is a 1997-2006 Wrangler.

For you, I would recommend an OME setup. HD springs in the front and Medium duty in the rear (HD in the rear if you plan on towing), OME Nitrocharger shocks and a JKS front adjustable trackbar.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #28
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Ok so I actually have the money now to order a lift (had it before but it got pissed away on bills and Christmas and whatnot). However, this lift kit shinaniganizing is no less confusing now as it was a year ago despite my hours or reading. I'm still leaning towards the IRO 3.5 Benchmark kit and adding a few items. The OME kit looks like it comes with some VERY nice shocks and springs but it just doesn't lift the Jeep enough for clearance. Camping and trailblazing season is upon us once again and I'd like to be out wheelin' in a few weeks. Could a few of you EXPERIENCED gentlemen please lend some advice? I'm paranoid when it comes to spending near $1000. I need the following questions answered before I flex my debit card:

Is the 3.5" IRO Benchmark kit, track bars, upgraded shocks, sway bar, steering stabilizer, and 31/10.50-15 AT's a good choice for my application? (Camping, pulling a tent trailer, moderate 4x4 trail driving, exploring those rarely seen areas of the Sierra Nevada mountains. My wife and I are gold-rush era history buffs and like to see as much of the unchanged Old West as we can.)

Will I need upper or lower adjustable control arms?

What exactly do "quick disconnects" and "bar pin eliminators" do, and do I need them?

Will I need to do anything with the driveshaft?

Will I need to cut/trim?

Will I need wheel spacers? (I don't mind if the wheels poke out a bit, I kinda like the look)

Will I be able to get this set-up aligned properly?

Can I install this kit/components myself? (I'm not an idiot with a wrench, and I have a fairly well-appointed shop)

Overall, will the ride quality/safety/clearance of this set-up be sufficient?

Thank you for any help. I know its alot but I figure this is the best place to ask, since the supplier is likely going to try and sell me stuff I may not need. And please, if you don't have direct experience and/or reliable knowledge about the questions I've asked, please don't clutter up the thread with more confusing information. I'm confused enough already and worried I'm gonna buy the wrong stuff.
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #29
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

3.5 and 31" is perfect for what you want to do.

You don't have to have control arms at 3.5" but it also doesn't hurt. Really depends if you want to fork out the extra money.

You will need a rear adjustable trackbar as the brackets are useless.
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #30
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

As for drive shafts, you may need to change the front drive shaft if you have the cv style, if not you will be fine.

To find that out simply do a quick search on the web for ds types.

For wheel spacers... I am at 3.5 with 31" and did choose to put wheel spacers on, I did so because at the end of my steering either way the tires would hit the lower control arm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.