A few more GC questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A few more GC questions

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
1994Wrangler

A few more GC questions

Hello again. I have a 97 GC Loredo with the I6 and auto tranny .Ive started to notice a small noise while driving. It will make a very, very quite ticking noise while Im taking off. It doesnt happen while its ideling or at normal driving speed(55 or so). Now I do remember my YJ wrangler made a ticking noise which was very freakin' loud at idle. But this tick is very quite. I only hear it when Im inside the jeep. I cannot hear it with the hood open and my head close to the engine. Any ideas?

Second question. My jeep operates at about 210 degrees. Is this normal temp?

And last, when I get out I hear the sound of metal cooling down.. ya know 'tick... tick.. tick'. It is coming from the cat converter. There are like heat waves coming off of it. But the exaust flows fine and it isnt glowing red or anything. How normal is that?

Thanks alot everyone!!!

Josh

1994Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
1994Wrangler

Anyone wanna try??

Thanks,

Josh
Unread 04-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
1994Wrangler

Further investigation shows the tick coming from the bottom of the jeep torward the engine compartment.. I couldnt get close because I had to press the gas pedal by hand.
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
DrumBoy
1998 ZJ 

Hey Josh,

I6's are known for lifter issues as they age. How many miles are on your ZJ? Usually around 80,000 miles or so the "tick-tick" sound appears and is mostly harmless, My guess is at idle the noise is faint because you're not pushing the engine to create the tick, and at normal driving speeds (55+) the ticking is still there but as your driving along extranious noises (road/tire noise, radio, exhaust, etc.) will contribute to masking out the sound.

You might want to check around your exhaust manifold (or if you have a header instead) for a gasket leak or possible hairline crack. If that's the case it will be a real ordeal to fix, getting to the manifold/header on I-6's at least to me are hard to get to, time-consuming and possibly expensive if you have a mechanic do it so you may want to try to tackle it yourself or seek out a gearhead friend for a favor.

As far as your CC goes, mine does that as well. Do you have a modded exhaust setup or are you running stock? High-Flow CC's will run a bit hotter and a hi-perf. exhaust (i.e. Flowmaster) will definitely heat up more than stock.

Hope this helps,

DrumBoy.
DrumBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #5
1994Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBoy
Hey Josh,

I6's are known for lifter issues as they age. How many miles are on your ZJ? Usually around 80,000 miles or so the "tick-tick" sound appears and is mostly harmless, My guess is at idle the noise is faint because you're not pushing the engine to create the tick, and at normal driving speeds (55+) the ticking is still there but as your driving along extranious noises (road/tire noise, radio, exhaust, etc.) will contribute to masking out the sound.

You might want to check around your exhaust manifold (or if you have a header instead) for a gasket leak or possible hairline crack. If that's the case it will be a real ordeal to fix, getting to the manifold/header on I-6's at least to me are hard to get to, time-consuming and possibly expensive if you have a mechanic do it so you may want to try to tackle it yourself or seek out a gearhead friend for a favor.

As far as your CC goes, mine does that as well. Do you have a modded exhaust setup or are you running stock? High-Flow CC's will run a bit hotter and a hi-perf. exhaust (i.e. Flowmaster) will definitely heat up more than stock.

Hope this helps,

DrumBoy.
Mine has 93k on it. It runs like a dream though. I also have the stock exuast setup. You have been alot of help! I appreciate it alot!

Thanks again,

Josh

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.