Feeling lucky? Well, are ya' ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Feeling lucky? Well, are ya' ?

Save on Selected Dynomax Exhaust Systems!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 01-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Feeling lucky? Well, are ya' ?

After reading the post regarding the weird residue in a ZJ owner's cooling system, and thinking about HighLonesome's avatar, I thought to myself how lucky I am to be the original owner of my Jeep. This is not to say that one can't get lucky when buying a used car of any type, but owning a car from when it's new is a real positive. In other words, if it's FUBAR'd, it's either your fault or Chryslers, right? There aren't any previous owners to cuss out about their lousy maintenance, etc.

So, I'm just wondering how many out there were fortunate enough to buy their ZJ new, and how many feel lucky by doing so, or by buying from a PO who took good care of the Jeep. I think someone would be lucky to buy mine, as I have taken pretty darned good care of it. But, how rare am I? Or how rare are we, who appreciate a quality vehicle, and "listen" to its needs as we put miles on them?

So, ZJ owners, are you feeling lucky? Well, are ya'? ?

MrRoundel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You forgot punk.

And I think you are a very rare bird. Hardly anyone keeps ZJs that can afford something better.

You are so right about buying a vehicle new. I bought my 94 Nissan truck new and it still is almost perfect with 300,000+ miles. The interior is starting to deteriorate but nothing you can do to save vinyl over time. I remember when I bought it (I was poor and needed basic transportation)...my Mercedes aficionado friend said 'that Jap 4-banger motor will only go 125,000 miles or so'. I still wonder when it may die.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
lunchfist
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel
After reading the post regarding the weird residue in a ZJ owner's cooling system, and thinking about HighLonesome's avatar, I thought to myself how lucky I am to be the original owner of my Jeep. This is not to say that one can't get lucky when buying a used car of any type, but owning a car from when it's new is a real positive. In other words, if it's FUBAR'd, it's either your fault or Chryslers, right? There aren't any previous owners to cuss out about their lousy maintenance, etc. So, I'm just wondering how many out there were fortunate enough to buy their ZJ new, and how many feel lucky by doing so, or by buying from a PO who took good care of the Jeep. I think someone would be lucky to buy mine, as I have taken pretty darned good care of it. But, how rare am I? Or how rare are we, who appreciate a quality vehicle, and "listen" to its needs as we put miles on them? So, ZJ owners, are you feeling lucky? Well, are ya'? ?
Ha! I'm that guy! :P regardless, I bought it as a project knowing I'd be putting money into it... Getting maintenance caught up etc. I love working on this thing! Wish I could have bought one new!
lunchfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i bought mine new. i used it as a minivan. it's paying me back
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

If only we were all so lucky. I bought my 95 with one PO, he evidently took grew care of the interior, stopped using it, and let it rot outside in brutal Midwest winter. A bit of rust, most of which I've chased down. I intend to keep my zj until it dies, then buy another--hopefully from someone like the OP!
dflewelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
LowBudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

No complaints about the PO of my ZJ. I bought her a year ago and have to say this thing has been pretty well taken care of. Truly untouched. Didn't hurt that she only had 90k miles on the clock. Lucky few? I'll get back to you in ten years.
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

My green pig was my fathers and he got it new. It's a huge relief knowing exactly who did all the maintenance on it. I can even tell you every time it was fueled up.

On the trail and just everyday driving I can trust it like no other vehicle I've owned for exactly that reason.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 01:43 AM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ordered mine new and no one other than a myself and ONE dealer's tech ( one of my old neighbors) has put a wrench on it. This is why I keep it. I know what's been done to it and more importantly, HOW it was done. There are no stripped bolts anywhere, no wrecks except a little ding from when the BMW biotch hit my hitch recently, no half-azzed work done to it anywhere.

I know what it sounds like when it's "well" and can detect the slightest sniffle in her breathing.

This is why I dont replace it. I hate the new ones and I know what I have. I know that ONLY Castrol oil has been in her since the day I drove it home. I know she has been USED, but not ABUSED. She has no rust, yet she's been all over the Louisiana and Texas beaches. ( I'm anal about washing the undercarriage after a trip near salt water)

For these reasons, I know I'll NEVER get MY price out of her if I ever decided to sell......which is way too high to mention....and there is no way I can convince a buyer as to how well I treated her since April of 1997. Even my interior still looks good, because I didnt get leather....( thank the Lord !).

On my seventh PCM. Might have finally gotten a good one this time. Crossing my fingers.

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 03:36 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I leased my 96 Laredo new, ran it over the allotted miles, and had no choice to buy it but glad I did. I know the oil/filter been changed every 3,000 miles since I'm the one who did it along with all the other maintenance.

I only wish I knew then what I know now as far as rust prevention. While there's no visible rust on it the dam road salt has taken it's tole on the underside. Just what are you supposed to do when it's covered by road salt but the water freezes on it along with the hose?? Envy those ZJ owner's who don't live in the salt/rust belt!

I'll drive it as long as I can while still trying to take care of it like new.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

All my vehicles would have been out of my price range new, so I only buy used. Paying for depreciation is for suckers, anyway

10 years old seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
KJK
1998 ZJ 

My father bought mine new and when he decided to get a newer Grand Cherokee in 2002 I bought it from him.
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
i bought mine new. i used it as a minivan. it's paying me back
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
You forgot punk.
Better it comes from you, as your avatar shows that you're equipped to back it up.
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudgetZJ View Post
No complaints about the PO of my ZJ. I bought her a year ago and have to say this thing has been pretty well taken care of. Truly untouched. Didn't hurt that she only had 90k miles on the clock. Lucky few? I'll get back to you in ten years.
Sounds like you did fine. You'd know by now if you hadn't. (Knock on wood emoticon here.)
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
My green pig was my fathers and he got it new. It's a huge relief knowing exactly who did all the maintenance on it. I can even tell you every time it was fueled up.

On the trail and just everyday driving I can trust it like no other vehicle I've owned for exactly that reason.
With such solid provenance, the green pig should stay out of the sausage factory for many years.

BTW: Do you have a little corkscrew tail that fits in your hitch on the green pig?

That reminds me, one of my '68 Barracudas was a fastback model. It had a 318, with a 904 transmission, and your basic column-shift auto. It had a faded green paint-job, and one of the rear quarter-panels was folded up underneath. Some swine, and mean that in a nice way ( ), gave it the moniker, The Green Turd. I'm sure he meant it in the nicest way as well. Bastid!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.