Fan swap questions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fan swap questions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
trailboy
1993 ZJ 

Fan swap questions?

On the GC ZJ, I have read several post and articles of people swapping out the clutch fan for a fan out of a ford 3.8 Taurus which the fan mounts on the radiator clips and only needs little mod to fit. This is a 2 speed fan. What I am not understanding is this.

They say the fan draws 40 amps. Thats a lot of juice. I have seen fans that claim to push 2800 cfm and only draw 14 amps. How can this fan draw so much?

Also wouldn't you kill your electrical system if you ran aux lights, fan, stereo and headlights all at once?

Has anyone done this in the hotter climates in the west? I live in the phoenix area, I am thinking about this, but want to make sure it is a good idea.

Thanks.
Tim

93 Grand 5.2L
3" Lift on 31's
Front and Rear bumpers and Trail Rails, JKS Disco's, Rustys Adjustable LCA's, Tinted windows, cold air intake, roof rack, home made storage box, alarm syst, Have Mopar performance computer havent put in yet or the 3" high flow exhaust, and future mods on the wish list.
trailboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
ZickZJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboy
On the GC ZJ, I have read several post and articles of people swapping out the clutch fan for a fan out of a ford 3.8 Taurus which the fan mounts on the radiator clips and only needs little mod to fit. This is a 2 speed fan. What I am not understanding is this.

They say the fan draws 40 amps. Thats a lot of juice. I have seen fans that claim to push 2800 cfm and only draw 14 amps. How can this fan draw so much?

Also wouldn't you kill your electrical system if you ran aux lights, fan, stereo and headlights all at once?

Has anyone done this in the hotter climates in the west? I live in the phoenix area, I am thinking about this, but want to make sure it is a good idea.

Thanks.
Tim

Yeah a lot of people have done this swap with good results, but it does draw a lot of amps. From what I read, the fan will draw 90-100 amps at startup and then around 30-40 continous draw. You'll have to have some high amp relays put in place as well. If your running extra lights, stereo, etc, you'll need to get a good high amp alternator and good battery as well.
These fans can be found dirt cheap at junk yards but you just have to figure in for the extra wiring, high amp relays, alt, etc.

97' ZJ, SOLD
ZickZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #3
Stocker

Yeah, I think a relay with adequate wiring would be OK. I'm sure a Taurus doesn't have a killer electrical system. Check the wire gauge and fuse rating on the Taurus when you get the fan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.