fan shroud problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fan shroud problem

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

OK, maybe I exaggerated a little. It's around 4 inches from the blade to the fins on the rad. At idle I just don't believe it has enough to pull air through out the whole radiator. That's just a lot of room to draw air from on the sides of the radiator.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

I'm a little confused. What is the temp gauge getting to? Mine runs at just a hair above the 210 line all the time and this is normal. Are you thinking that this is overheating? The fan shroud will effect the temp a small amount, but not enough to make it overheat (unless your radiator is clogged). If it is overheating, check the water pump. It may "look" good, but that has nothing do do with operation. Remove the belt and see if the pump has any play in it. Also, are you sure you got the right fan clutch? Next time it does the overheating thing, get out and make sure the fan is actually spinning.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

One other thing. When you flushed the system, did you put a good 50/50 mix in? And is the overflow tank at the right level?
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #19
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Well, after we changed the t-stat and started her up and let her sit for a good 15-30 minutes at just idle, she slowly crept up until my idle speed bumped up a notch trying to spin the fan faster. This was before I changed out the bad fan clutch. I haven't let her sit that long again as I don't want to overheat her again so soon. I'll just wait till I get the shroud on, then I may let her idle for a while and see where she settles in at.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

I have to ask again. What temp is it getting to? Is it getting to the red zone? just above 210 is perfectly normal.
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #21
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Wow you have a lot of room there lol. Ill post pictures of mine later. Different set up with the electric fan of course but it almost looks like the clutch fan wouldnt even fit thats how little room i have. With an aluminum water pump its very hard to tell age from looking at it. They look new forever as they dont rust. You sure you dont have a sticky thermostat? Just because its new doesnt mean its not bad.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #22
KJK
1998 ZJ 

You've already done everything else, now get the fan shroud so everything else can work for you at idle.
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #23
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

stry to smoke a cig with your mouth wide open. thats the basic principal of not having your fan shroud on

your fan is doing nothing at idle or speed to pull air. if you took the blades off you probably wouldn't notice a difference b/c that shroud isn't there. the 5.2 isn't close to the I6 as far as cooling, so you cant compare them.
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #24
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
stry to smoke a cig with your mouth wide open.
That gave me a good laugh, but yea, I know what your talking about.

Pugulis, The temp gauge got up in between 210 and 260 and she started boiling out of my coolant reservoir. Even though going through an obstacle and putting the Jeep on "tilt" with the drivers side a LOT higher then the passenger side probably didn't help the situation. Since then I have done my best to not let her sit and idle until I get the fan shroud.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
stry to smoke a cig with your mouth wide open. thats the basic principal of not having your fan shroud on

your fan is doing nothing at idle or speed to pull air. if you took the blades off you probably wouldn't notice a difference b/c that shroud isn't there. the 5.2 isn't close to the I6 as far as cooling, so you cant compare them.
The analogy isn't quite right. And as I said, the shroud will effect the temp, but not to the extent your talking about. Not unless your stopped in 90 degree weather. Also, I'm not comparing to my I6, I'm comparing to every car and truck I've ever driven. If you've got coolant "boiling" out the overflow tank and it hasn't even reached the red zone, something else is wrong. Of course replacing the shroud will help and may even hide the problem. But there is something else wrong. I'd start with the possibility that the thermostat is in backward (or defective). Next is that the coolant doesn't have a 50/50 mix. And then there's the possibility that the pump is shot. The final thing is that you may be looking at the beginning of a blown head gasket. In which case, having a missing shroud will effect it allot (but that's a worst case scenario.)

I'm still leaning toward the coolant mix and thermostat. If you get a new shroud and the problem goes away, cool. But I still think something else is going on.
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #26
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Your right the 5.2 and 4.0 are totally different in terms of cooling. The 5.2 has really no issues staying cool yet the 4.0 LOVES to run hot and is harder to keep cool. If you can keep a 4.0 cool with no shroud you can keep a 5.2 cool just the same.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #27
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
If you can keep a 4.0 cool with no shroud you can keep a 5.2 cool just the same.
lol, try a lowspeed climb of a long grade on a forest road around here. See how far you get without a shroud. If the shroud wasn't necessary, Chrysler would have omitted it. Get a freaking shroud.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #28
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
You've already done everything else, now get the fan shroud so everything else can work for you at idle.
^X2
There's nothing wrong with your radiator, thermostat, or water pump. You need to put the shroud on in order to let the fan properly pull air thru the radiator. Maybe the new fan clutch is an issue, but why are you diagnosing when you don't have a complete system? I'd also bet that your A/C doesn't work too well at idle, due to a lack of air flow across the condenser.
BTW: I don't think this is your problem (since you're OK at highway speed), but... are you sure the fins on the A/C condenser are clean and straight, so that they don't further block air flow?
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ View Post
^X2
are you sure the fins on the A/C condenser are clean and straight, so that they don't further block air flow?
Yup, have taken a light on the backside of the radiator and looked through the front and could see that the fins are straight. I do live in Florida, and the day this happened the temps were up in the 85+. Since then we've had a cold front move through so it is now a little cooler outside and sitting in traffic the highest she gets is just under 210. I'm pretty sure it is the shroud and am in the process of getting one from someone through the forums. Have tried the junkyards around here and nobody has a 5.2L ZJ sitting around with a fan shroud in it.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #30
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
The analogy isn't quite right.
i thought it was good. non directional pull of air from around something your trying to pull air through is a pretty good analogy to me, and the OP got it so what else matters

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.