fan shroud problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fan shroud problem

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

fan shroud problem

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L and she overheats on me if I sit at idle for a length of time. Running down the road she stays nice and cool. I am missing the complete fan shroud and was wondering if anybody out there had an extra one of these. I've been searching the web and all I can come across is the top part of the shroud. Is there a lower half? I would think there is but not sure.

Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

That may be a part of it but thats not your whole problem. Replace the fan clutch and thermostat. Flush the cooling system with a garden hose and fill it with nice new antifreeze while your at it.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Forgot to add that I have changed the fan clutch, replaced the thermostat, has a new radiator, new lower radiator hose and flushed it all after replacing the lower hose.
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Did you get a lower hose with the spring in it or transfer the spring from your old hose to the new one?
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Hmmm, now you got me worried. I was wondering what the spring was for in the old hose. Is there a reason for the spring?

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

OK, I did some research on the spring issue. Seems as if while under power and flying down the road the lower hose is under a suction and can collapse. I'm not having any issues with cooling at highway speeds. Only sitting at idle for a length of time. It very very slowly climbs up not fast as if it's getting no water circulation at all. I will at a later time find a spring to put back in the lower hose but I believe this is not my problem at this time.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

OK did you also flush out the heater core and lines? How old is your water pump? Did this problem start after you did the service or before? I have seen water pumps seem fine but when removed from the motor the blades are rusted off and they are doing next to nothing.
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

I just purchased the Jeep so don't know when the water pump was last changed, but it does actually look fairly new. Have ran the motor with the radiator cap removed and can see plenty of circulation which makes me believe the water pump is fine.

When it all started.

I took it out for its first offroad trip. She did fine for the first couple of spots but i did notice the temperature slowly climbing. So we stopped at the parts store and purchased a new t-stat. Changed that out at a friends house and let her sit and idle. Temps slowly climbed up. So I drove home that night which was about 15 miles. She did fine at highway speeds. Temps stayed OK. The next day I got up and checked the fan clutch with her sitting cold. Was a little stiff but not much, so I cranked her up and let her heat up to about 200. Shut her off and checked the fan clutch. It was loose as a goose. I also noticed a small pin hole in the lower hose. So off to the parts store I went again and picked up a fan clutch and lower hose. Replaced those and now the fan sounds like a hurricane. I believe I just need the complete fan shroud to direct the airflow throughout the whole radiator.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Rocks

Yes, you need the fan shroud. The factory put it on there for a reason.
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Balboa
1994 ZJ 

The fan shroud is most important when the vehicle is sitting still or moving slowly and there is little or no ram air through the radiator. This would be the first thing to do before doing any more repairs. If you don't know about the water pump, you might just replace it while you are already working in that area.

Fan shroud should be a junkyard item. Age or wear is not an issue with them.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yes just to clear this up i wasnt saying you dont need the shroud however i dont really think its the only cause of the problem. I have owned my 4.0 XJ for 4 years its never had a shround and sits at 195 with a 192 stat. Probably the only 4.0 i have ever seen or owned that runs that cool lol.
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Yea, I understood that, I'm not one to mistake words, but mine is a V8-5.2L and does your A/C work? The A/C condenser can assist in heating up the radiator pretty quick. If I run without the A/C she will stay at a decent temp for a lot longer. I believe the shroud will make a world of difference when I'm sitting still. as it will draw air through the radiator instead of drawing air from the sides of the radiator.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yup my AC is ice cold but the 4.0 XJ has a decent size electric fan that kicks on with the AC so that greatly helps in keeping everything cool. When i bought my XJ the fan clutch was shot. The electric fan was enough alone to keep the engine cool. In comes on with the AC as well as when the engine reaches 210* It was always on and i soon learned why lol
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

This is not a picture of my temp guage just one I found on the net and added an arror to show where mine normally sits when driving down the road with the A/C on. When I'm sitting still is when the problems occur and as stated before it does take a while to even get up to 210. I believe it has to do with the fan shroud as the fan blade is at least around 6 inches or more from the radiator with nothing to direct the airflow from coming through the radiator.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

It wouldnt hurt of course to get the shroud. Your saying the end of the blade is 6" from the radiator? Something doesnt sound right at all there? Shouldnt even be able to do that there isnt enough room? The 5.9 ZJ came with al electric fan and even with that the stub on the water pump is about 1" from the electric fan motor. There is maybe 6" total between the front of the motor and the radiator. No way you can have 6" between the fan and radiator. Can you post a picture of this?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.