Which Fan clutch for better cooling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Which Fan clutch for better cooling?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
dmxsoulja3
1998 ZJ 

Which Fan clutch for better cooling?

Hey guys,

So my fan clutch went out this week, down in my area there is severe flooding, and after a few deep water fords, I noticed I was getting warm when idling but not when moving. Popped the hood and you can see the fan is barely spinning and I don't get that rush of air normally I would get when it starts up, when its cold I can free spin it and it spins backwards on itself, no resistance. That said, which part, and which store do I want to get a new one from? I know the XJ guys use one of the ZJ fan clutches for more cooling, wondering if I should go with that one as I do some towing of my Jet ski, and some mountain driving from time to time and noise isn't an issue for me. I have the 4.0L motor.

Thanks!

dmxsoulja3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Going with an autozone one will give you max cooling but you'll sound like an airplane. Go with mopar if you want something that works great and doesn't constantly sound like a jumbo jet.
Unread 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Unfortunately the mopar one is no longer available. Lol, when I can remember to do it I get them at the yard. Dylan is correct,some of the aftermarkets sound like a city bus, or an airplane. The hayden I had engaged oddly and the temp fluctuated more than I liked. The 98 mopar clutch is a unique one year clutch.I suspect that when they chose to put the trans cooler in the tank they changed the clutch. A 97 may actually pull more air since it was designed with the external trans cooler in mind, but thats just a guess.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
dmxsoulja3
1998 ZJ 

yeah I was looking at the advance auto parts severe duty one, and the napa severe duty one that the XJ guys use, I'm not sure what max cooling or w/o max cooling means when they refer to the part numbers. I imagine it is a good bit louder but this is a second vehicle for me and not a daily driver so function over form in this case. If you weren't going to get a Mopar one, which would u recommend
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
dmxsoulja3
1998 ZJ 

Interesting I wasn't aware that the 98 was unique, so in that case, would another year's fan clutch work the same on the 98?
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I have the Omix Ada HD fan clutch on my 5.2 ZJ. It's a good clutch that I feel comfortable recommending to others. It sounds like I'm driving a Mack truck though
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I don't know,thats why I pulled a couple of spares out of the JY I store them vertically.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
dmxsoulja3
1998 ZJ 

Always like to update my threads with results. I ended up going with the severe duty fan clutch from Autozone made by Torqflo, model# 922796. This resolved my cooling issue, specifically I was having a problem where when I was moving it was fine, but if at idle with A/C on, I would get temp creep to the 230 range that I had never had before previously after taking my Jeep into like 2-3ft of water for a few city blocks. I'm guessing water intrusion on the fan clutch caused it to not lock up at idle cuz it was barely moving any air at idle, the new one you can feel it under and out of the sides of the hood, its moving a bunch of air and I stay a needles width away from 210 all the time now even in 90 degree heat in traffic with AC on. Some folks commented on it being loud, I def hear it when the motor is cold, you get a roar, but once its at temp I don't notice anything different sound wise. Lastly, 1/2" or 13mm ratcheting wrench would make your life alot easier if you plan on doing this, and for me, to get the radiator shroud out, you have to unbolt the fan clutch and pull the fan/clutch/shroud all in one swoop so don't slam it into your radiator. The ZJ lives to die another day!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.