Failed Emissions (High NOx) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 05-22-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
twmart
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 157
I have a question about the plemun plate / gasket.. After reading some about the Plenum gasket... I checked the following things.
- Looked down the throttle body .. there is only a little oil more like damp.
- I checked the engine vaccum again 16. I removed the PCV and there was no vaccum when I covered the hole with my finger.
- removed the oil fill cap and no vaccum sounds.
also none of the about caused the vaccum to fluctuate it was steady at 16.

Thoughts................................

I am wondering if the PO removed the internals from the cat....


1989 Cherokee
1990 Cherokee
1999 Grand Cherokee
2001 Cherokee
twmart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 21 Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM
BigE3
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tombstone,Az
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by twmart View Post
I have a question about the plemun plate / gasket.. After reading some about the Plenum gasket... I checked the following things.
- Looked down the throttle body .. there is only a little oil more like damp.
- I checked the engine vaccum again 16. I removed the PCV and there was no vaccum when I covered the hole with my finger.
- removed the oil fill cap and no vaccum sounds.
also none of the about caused the vaccum to fluctuate it was steady at 16.

Thoughts................................

I am wondering if the PO removed the internals from the cat....
NOx and what the cat is supposed to do is 2 different things

I like my Jeep, just like my women. 'Loose and Flexible'
BigE3 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 05-22-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
twmart
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
NOx and what the cat is supposed to do is 2 different things
Maybe I will just do a tune up and oil change the get the free retest and see what the numbers are.. I am only over by .18 on the NOx...
I check one of the plugs Champion RC12YC had a tan color to it.... But the gap was at about .055

I was just thinking also wow OLD oil cause the NOx to read high??? I was thinking that if this Jeep only has 2k miles in the last 2 years then the oil in there is also 2 years oil...

1989 Cherokee
1990 Cherokee
1999 Grand Cherokee
2001 Cherokee

Last edited by twmart; 05-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.
twmart is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Bossanova
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Burnaby B.C.
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
NOx and what the cat is supposed to do is 2 different things
catalytic converters: Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O
If your cat is not working your nox will be high. I just failed an aircare here in vancouver and changed the cat and went back through and passed.
you can check your cat to see if its working by using an infrared thermometer. bring the jeep to operating temperature and check the temp of the pipe going into the cat. then point the sensor right on the cat (not on the heat shield) the temp should be allot hotter. this means the cat is working because there is a chemical reaction happening in the cat and when its working it gets damn hot.

Last edited by Bossanova; 05-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Bossanova is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
5150Revren
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: broomfield
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossanova View Post
catalytic converters: Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O
If your cat is not working your nox will be high. I just failed an aircare here in vancouver and changed the cat and went back through and passed.
you can check your cat to see if its working by using an infrared thermometer. bring the jeep to operating temperature and check the temp of the pipe going into the cat. then point the sensor right on the cat (not on the heat shield) the temp should be allot hotter. this means the cat is working because there is a chemical reaction happening in the cat and when its working it gets damn hot.
This post really helped, thank you!
5150Revren is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
MilanJeep
Registered User
 
MilanJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 293
Put 3-5 gallons of E85 in before your next test, that will help a lot too.

98 5.9 ZJ - 4.5" lift, 33x12.50 MT/R Kevlars
02 Z06 - Supercharged, E85, lots of rwhp, built and tuned by me

Milan
MilanJeep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
97 ZJ Failed Emissions ***Please Help*** choyt80 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 36 06-24-2015 10:06 AM
95 zj 4.0 failed emissions! nobrand ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 17 04-06-2010 08:40 PM
E22 Recall...did it now failed emissions oldskool ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 06-12-2007 06:37 AM
Failed emissions advice please 94 greenmachine ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 19 09-01-2006 11:44 PM
Failed Emissions! HELP! dpierson ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 06-01-2005 11:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome