Failed Emissions (High NOx) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Failed Emissions (High NOx)

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #16
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a question about the plemun plate / gasket.. After reading some about the Plenum gasket... I checked the following things.
- Looked down the throttle body .. there is only a little oil more like damp.
- I checked the engine vaccum again 16. I removed the PCV and there was no vaccum when I covered the hole with my finger.
- removed the oil fill cap and no vaccum sounds.
also none of the about caused the vaccum to fluctuate it was steady at 16.

Thoughts................................

I am wondering if the PO removed the internals from the cat....

2001 Cherokee
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmart View Post
I have a question about the plemun plate / gasket.. After reading some about the Plenum gasket... I checked the following things.
- Looked down the throttle body .. there is only a little oil more like damp.
- I checked the engine vaccum again 16. I removed the PCV and there was no vaccum when I covered the hole with my finger.
- removed the oil fill cap and no vaccum sounds.
also none of the about caused the vaccum to fluctuate it was steady at 16.

Thoughts................................

I am wondering if the PO removed the internals from the cat....
NOx and what the cat is supposed to do is 2 different things
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
Maybe I will just do a tune up and oil change the get the free retest and see what the numbers are.. I am only over by .18 on the NOx...
I check one of the plugs Champion RC12YC had a tan color to it.... But the gap was at about .055

I was just thinking also wow OLD oil cause the NOx to read high??? I was thinking that if this Jeep only has 2k miles in the last 2 years then the oil in there is also 2 years oil...
2001 Cherokee

Last edited by twmart; 05-22-2010 at 03:45 PM..
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Bossanova
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
catalytic converters: Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O
If your cat is not working your nox will be high. I just failed an aircare here in vancouver and changed the cat and went back through and passed.
you can check your cat to see if its working by using an infrared thermometer. bring the jeep to operating temperature and check the temp of the pipe going into the cat. then point the sensor right on the cat (not on the heat shield) the temp should be allot hotter. this means the cat is working because there is a chemical reaction happening in the cat and when its working it gets damn hot.

Last edited by Bossanova; 05-23-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Bossanova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
5150Revren
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossanova View Post
catalytic converters: Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O
If your cat is not working your nox will be high. I just failed an aircare here in vancouver and changed the cat and went back through and passed.
you can check your cat to see if its working by using an infrared thermometer. bring the jeep to operating temperature and check the temp of the pipe going into the cat. then point the sensor right on the cat (not on the heat shield) the temp should be allot hotter. this means the cat is working because there is a chemical reaction happening in the cat and when its working it gets damn hot.
This post really helped, thank you!
5150Revren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
MilanJeep

Put 3-5 gallons of E85 in before your next test, that will help a lot too.

Milan
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.