Factory Track Bar Alignment Thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory Track Bar Alignment Thoughts

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
GaryE30
1995 ZJ 

Factory Track Bar Alignment Thoughts

I just installed a factory Moog track bar for my Jeep as she was showing signs of death wobble and the whole front end felt loose. I'm sure there is more that needs replacing up front (and rear).

Despite that, I am now having alignment issues. I jacked the truck up by the axle, removed the old track bar, installed the new one, and now my steering wheel is cocked about 15-20 degrees to one side when I'm tracking straight.

I didn't mess with any of the tie rods or any other steering components. Could there have been some built up tension/compression in the old track bar that the vehicle was aligned to and now that it was removed and a new one re-installed it offset the steering components a bit?

I will say that when the front end was up in the air I did grab the tire itself and turn it to allow room for my fork to pop out the ball joint. Then after that was removed, I went inside the cabin and turned the wheels straight before letting the Jeep back down on the ground.

I suppose I'll have to pick it back up and adjust it sometime. Just wanted some input to from the ZJ crowd.

Thanks,
Gary

GaryE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
dropped74
1998 ZJ 

Did it fix your problems?
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
GaryE30
1995 ZJ 

There is less shimmying going on when I hit small bumps at speed. I haven't tested it out fully, but I can already tell it helped a bit. I know that the tie rods, control arms, etc are all worn out so they're all contributing to the slop.

It was getting pretty scary for a bit though. Little imperfections in the road made the entire front end feel like it was floating and attached to the chassis via spaghetti lol
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Perhaps your old trackbar was bent.

I still had the original track bar when I was hit (not very hard) on the right front tire. After that, the steering wheel was off center, never knew why. The garage that replaced the bumper cover centered the wheel, likely by just adjusting the drag link.

All was good until my track bar bushing got badly worn and contributed to my first case of DW. Then when I installed a new OEM track bar, my wheel was off center AGAIN. It seems that my original TB was bent when I was hit, then compensated for by the garage adjusting the drag link. Then with a new "unbent" TB, I had to put the drag link back where it was originally and now everything is straight again.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

Same thing is going on with my 98 GC, death wobble gone, but steering wheel will shake at times so I know other parts are worn. Going to wait till all bad parts are replaced, then do alignment. Wish I had the cash to just go in with all new everything. Posted this same advice a while back, but didn't heed it myself.
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
GaryE30
1995 ZJ 

1skrewsloose - Yeah, I mean I understand that it is wise to replace suspension components all at once. I always do on my other cars, however, this jeep is my beater and it gets pieces and parts as they wear out.

KoreaZJ - It must have been bent or just really worn out when the car was aligned last causing enough shift in the axle to contribute to the degree the wheel is off. I'll just adjust the drag link until the wheel is centered.

Thanks,
Gary

Tags
alignment , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.