Factory tint...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory tint......

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
platinumjeep

Factory tint......

what percentage are the rear windows tinted from the factory. i want to get my fronts tinted to match and i need to know how dark to get them. thanks

platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
justjeepin

Mine was 20%. I got 20% put one the front and they got darker after some time and dropped down to 16%. (Got pulled over for it thats why I know. I hate WI laws like that)

All stock stuff but soon to be upgraded.
justjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

the WJ is 18% (I had the guy at the brake tag station use the tint gun on it). Noone makes an 18% tint, so you'll just have to do 20%...it's close enough
2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs ¤ WAAG 1-piece front brush guard ¤ custom built WAAG nerf bars ¤ PIAA 580 lighting ¤ Custom Paint ¤ One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step ¤
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 ¤ Autothority Chips ¤ Rear Muffler Bypass ¤ Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
Othoni

Same thing with me, when I got my front windows tinted I had the guy match the tints to the factory tints so that way I don't get harrased by the cops. In nyc if a cop gives or is about to give you a summons for tinted windows he has to use this little light tool that tells them how dark it is, if the cop does not have that tool they can't give you a ticket but the cops will most likely radio another unit to his location so he can filled his monthly quota.

[URL]http://www.cardomain.com/id/othoni[/URL]
Othoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
platinumjeep

i forgot to tell you i have a 1997 GC limited. is that still 18%??
Unread 01-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
snakeyes93

Yeah they should be 18%. If you are having a professional shop do it they'll know what would go best. I took mine in and just told them to make the fronts the same as the rears so it would be uniform. They only go in 5% increments i think so 20% is the only way to go to get a good match. Even though it is 2% lighter it still looks good because the rear is supposed to be darker anyway. it would look horrible with front windows darker than the rear. 20% is what i think you would probly be the happeist with.
snakeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
bnhcooper

Is factory tint actually applied tint that can be removed, or is the glass itself darkened. I'm not brave enough to use a razor to find out.
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
OSCAR326

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhcooper
Is factory tint actually applied tint that can be removed, or is the glass itself darkened. I'm not brave enough to use a razor to find out.

Pretty sure it is IN the glass.

And the stock stuff is 18%? I had my front sides done 23% and my windshield done 33% (Titanium). I highly recommend windshield when the front sides are done (of course state laws vary). You would be surprised at how light it actually looks from inside. Except when you drive in woods, you WILL need the 'ol high beams......it really makes the rest of the tint complete to get rid of that darned bright windshield.
Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks
Westin Safari-Bar
Maxtel 6" Off-Road lights
360? of Tint
Thule Roof Rack
Do my new seat covers count?![/COLOR]
OSCAR326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
midwest97gc

yea the tint is definitly IN the glass. I had an old Explorer with that stupid stock mirror tint on the back, and could do nothing to remove it have matching black all the way around. but anyways, yea it is in there.

I say put 5% on the rear and on the front with 35% on the windshield. Looks hella bad!!! Thats what I have, but kentucky cops dont care

Cassius
[COLOR=White]2" BB, Edelbrock Shocks, 31X10.5 A/T MT's on Stock Rims, Bump Extensions, Custom Skid Plates, De-pinstripped, De-badged, 5% tint ALL the way around, Yellow top battery, Grounding Kit, 200 Amp Alternator, (6) 10in JL Audio WO's, (2) JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Amps, Alpine IVA-D300 Headunit, MB Quart mids and highs all the way around, and the volume always at 100[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]JOIN [URL=http://www.norml.org/index.cfm]NORML[/URL] TODAY - FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FOR RESPONSIBLE USERS[/COLOR]
midwest97gc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
jeep23

I had 5% over my factory tint, 5% on the front side windows, 15% all the way down on the front windshield and a strip of 5% over it. I used to get pulled all the time, but i had an affadavit staying that i had light sensitive eyes.

The cops harassed me so often i pulled the windshield tint and front side window tint off and put 15% on the sides. I never got pulled after that.

Recently i put 5% over my 15% on the sides to match the back which are 5% over factory. I wouldn't recommend this though b/c i'm probably going to hit a pedestrian crossing the road when i turn at night.
jeep23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

There is a tint shop here in town that can do any tint you want! You can get %18 tint... you just gotta go to the real pro's!
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
platinumjeep

ok heres me next question. i really want to get 5% all around, like completely black, cant see in at all. i was told by a good tint shop that if you tint over the factory tinted glass, it will be nearly impossible to see out of the windows as well as see in. is this true? bc i really would just like to get 5% all the way around. thanks
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

It will be really hard to see out of dubble tinted windows mostly just at night... and it will be completly impossibleto see in... it might be slightly unsafe... but it is your Jeep...
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #14
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjeep
ok heres me next question. i really want to get 5% all around, like completely black, cant see in at all. i was told by a good tint shop that if you tint over the factory tinted glass, it will be nearly impossible to see out of the windows as well as see in. is this true? bc i really would just like to get 5% all the way around. thanks
That's nuts. 5%? You might as well wear blinds. But seriously, before you invest, take a look see here:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

As you can see, less than half the states allow below 25% on the rear sides let alone 5% on the rear sides and front sides. You'd be asking for trouble. Not to mention you'd make it much more difficult for you to see out of the vehicle and respond to situations that might harm you or someone else.

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I was too lazy. I had all the windows tinted a couple of shades darker than the fronts. It made the fronts a little darker and the rest of the windows a lot darker.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.