Factory Stereo Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory Stereo Woes

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Factory Stereo Woes

My stock (not infinity) speakers on the passenger side have stopped working. They used to work as they should, but only intermittently for years. Now, when I have the balance to the full right, and put my ear up to them, I can just barely hear sound; balance all the way to the left, and I get nothing. Interestingly, when I move the balance to full right, the driver side speakers never reduce in volume, as I believe they should. The fader works as it should.

I have tried spraying cleaner into the potentiometer from the front, but no joy. I did this because these symptoms are similar to the way a vintage amp behaves when it needs cleaning. I was going to remove the unit and clean the potentiometer, but then read somewhere that the pots are sealed to cut down on interference. ?? I have inspected the wires in the door conduit boots as suggested elsewhere in this forum. The wires look fine, and besides I believe my problem is upstream of the passenger side speakers. After, I inspected them, I was unable to get the dang boot up snug, must be something I'm missing.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I'm relatively sure, the wires are good on the passenger side in both doors, especially since they went out together.

Anyone have any ideas where I should look next? Are those pots really sealed? And what is the trick to get my conduit boot back snug?

Thanks!

Unread 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Im a newb

As you can tell from my number of posts, I'm a newb. I should have put this in the Audio/Electrical category. Sorry

Hopefully, a mod will see this and move it.
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Go here and select "Grand Cherokee ZJ" in the pull down tab for online manuals.

I use this a lot!

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
Go here and select "Grand Cherokee ZJ" in the pull down tab for online manuals.

I use this a lot!

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
thanks for the info!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.