Factory Stereo Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory Stereo Woes

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Factory Stereo Woes

My stock (not infinity) speakers on the passenger side have stopped working. They used to work as they should, but only intermittently for years. Now, when I have the balance to the full right, and put my ear up to them, I can just barely hear sound; balance all the way to the left, and I get nothing. Interestingly, when I move the balance to full right, the driver side speakers never reduce in volume, as I believe they should. The fader works as it should.

I have tried spraying cleaner into the potentiometer from the front, but no joy. I did this because these symptoms are similar to the way a vintage amp behaves when it needs cleaning. I was going to remove the unit and clean the potentiometer, but then read somewhere that the pots are sealed to cut down on interference. ?? I have inspected the wires in the door conduit boots as suggested elsewhere in this forum. The wires look fine, and besides I believe my problem is upstream of the passenger side speakers. After, I inspected them, I was unable to get the dang boot up snug, must be something I'm missing.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I'm relatively sure, the wires are good on the passenger side in both doors, especially since they went out together.

Anyone have any ideas where I should look next? Are those pots really sealed? And what is the trick to get my conduit boot back snug?

Thanks!

Unread 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Im a newb

As you can tell from my number of posts, I'm a newb. I should have put this in the Audio/Electrical category. Sorry

Hopefully, a mod will see this and move it.
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Go here and select "Grand Cherokee ZJ" in the pull down tab for online manuals.

I use this a lot!

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
Go here and select "Grand Cherokee ZJ" in the pull down tab for online manuals.

I use this a lot!

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.