Factory Security System Issues -- PLEASE HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory Security System Issues -- PLEASE HELP!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

Factory Security System Issues -- PLEASE HELP!

So I bought a 1996 ZJ Limited the other day. When I got home, I stupidly decided to lock the doors, and immediately the alarm system goes off. I put the key in the door, turn it every which way, and the alarm continues to go off! I tried the same with the passenger door and the liftgate door and still no luck. I figured maybe if I tried starting the engine, it would realize I have the right key and the alarm would stop? (As you can see I don't know much about cars). The engine turned right off because of the anti-theft system. My dad (who knows a lot about cars) came out because it had been about fifteen minutes and I couldn't turn off the alarm. He was looking for a killswitch or a valet switch (come to find out my car doesn't even have one because it is factory alarm system). It was late at night so he started pulling fuses from the fuse panel and finally one of them (#7 if it helps) turned off the alarm temporarily. When we put the fuse back in or turn the key in the ignition, the alarm continues as should be expected. We have tried all of the little tricks and tips that are online (except the purple /yellow wire thing which I'd prefer not to do unless there is ABSOLUTELY no choice). Tried the turning the key left and right in the passenger door, tried many little tricks that involved combinations of buttons and key turns etc, but no help. I emailed jeep, and they weren't helpful. I called them and they told me to call a dealership. I'm still waiting on the other key to come in the mail from the previous owner. I just realized the key I've been using is an aftermarket copy (probably to be used as a valet key or something). So I'm not sure if the other key has the transponder chip or if that's even a feature my car has, but hopefully when that comes in I'll have better luck. In the meantime I'm looking for suggestions. The one thing Jeep email support did tell me that there is a recall that needs to be performed that involves getting the PCM reprogrammed, and I have seen in wiring diagrams that the door lock sensors go to the PCM so I'm hoping that will maybe clear the issue up. If anybody know if this will work PLEASE tell me. Also, we took apart the drivers door and the liftgate to look at the door lock sensors. The liftgate doesn't even have anything that the cable is supposed to connect to, the cable just sits there and it looks like there was a box of some sort in the door that was taken out (probably what I need in this case?), and the sensor for the door lock on the drivers door (the one on the bottom where the purple/yellow cable plugs into) isn't even connected to anything. There is a flat circular object at the end of the cable that just hangs in the door and we cant find what that is supposed to connect to either! The previous owners said they used to turn off the alarm with the passenger door when they had the issue but now it isn't working for us so that door is next to be dismantled...anybody know what the drivers door sensor should be connected to? and does anybody know what part I need to buy for the trunk? I'm positive that these two things are the reason I can't turn off the alarm with those two doors...not sure about the passenger door though.

So if anybody can answer any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this! I know it was a lot!
-Matt

mgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unplug the purple with yellow stripe wire in the drivers door from it's connector then put a jumper in the socket. This is the same as cutting and grounding only you can put it back together if it doesn't help. This works on early models not sure about yours but it allowed my 93 to start and run.
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

An zj's do not use chip keys
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

@dusterdude: Thank you very much for that information I appreciate it. Hopefully that'll be helpful information

@wtroger: Are you telling me to put a jumper in the connector of the cable? or in the connector of the door? Because the connector on the door doesn't go to anything at all right now for some reason.
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

Also, I posted pictures of the disconnected cables and such on a Google+ album that can be seen at this link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11113...Pes9Y-fuLyStgE

hopefully it'll help people to help me
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There should be a 2 pin connector on the end of purple and yellow wire that plugs into its mating plug i believe the wires change color after they leave the plug then it goes to that door switch. Unplug that connector and jumper the pins together on the purple and yellow side. That effectively shorts the purple with yello stripe to ground.
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

Okay I'll try that tomorrow! I thought I read somewhere that that shorting trick doesn't work on 96+ but I'll try anyways. Thanks for the advice Any Idea where the other end of that mating plug's wires go? because that's what just hangs...and I'm almost 100% positive that it shouldn't just hang...
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the help everybody I figured out where the sensor actually connects today (I took apart the passenger door finally...not sure why I couldn't do it with the passenger door though). Connected the sensor to the lock cylinder where it's supposed to be, plugged the battery back in and when the alarm went off, put the key int he drivers door and turned it and boom. All set! Really pumped right now! xD Now to figure out why the alarm went off in the first place. So sometimes on the VIC, it shows the hood as open, which I'm thinking could be because of the door jam switch under the hood (thinking it might be bad). If I open the hood and close it hard the light turns off...Could that be the reason the alarm went off? Also, on that VIC, what is the thin rectangular red light above the one that indicates the hood being open? That light is on a lot...looks like where the radiator would be on the actual car. Appreciate any info somebody could give!
-Matt
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

Oh also if anybody knows about this, the light where the temperature shows up says "Er" when you first turn the car on or start the car. Not so sure why yet.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
mgoldie
1996 ZJ 

I read about an OBD procedure on the AC system and went through it. Got code 23 which is "PCM message missing...Collision Detection C2D Bus Inputs." Do I need to replace the collision sensor?

Tags
alarm system , anti theft , pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.