Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

factory alarm arms but wont sound off the alarm

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  elmer_fud 
#1 ·
1998 grand cherokee

when it arms, the little red light flashes fast for 15 seconds and then slowly blinks.

but the alarm never sounds if you try to open the door without a key.

I bought this used so I dont know the history.
If you push the panic button on the key fob the horn sounds and lights flash.
locking the door with remote arms the alarm as does locking the doors with the power lock button

#2 ·
How are you opening the door w/o the key or fob to unlock it and at the same time , disable the alarm ?

If you want to test your system , roll the driver's side window down , hit the power locks close the door , confirm security light flashes . Reach in , unlock the door manually , and open it via the outside handle , the alarm should sound

#3 ·
Try the rest of the doors if you haven't already. The door switches like to fail in the closed position, in which case the Jeep won't know that you ever opened the door.

On the other hand, if you're thinking simply pressing the door handle button sets off the alarm... No. You actually have to get it open.

#4 ·
thanks guys.
It is working.
But this means someone has to actually break a window and open the door to set off the alarm. Or pry open the hood or doors? I thought it would alarm if someone tried to open the door from the outside. So it only alarms if someone seriously damages it.
Is this true?
I dont think anyone could actually pry open any of the doors, they are meant to stay shut even in an accident.

#5 ·
sounds about right. You have to remember your jeep is 10 years old and will not have the security features of newer vehicles. If you want something that reacts anytime someone touches your jeep you will have to find something aftermarket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.