Fabbed my new roof rack-- whatcha think? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fabbed my new roof rack-- whatcha think?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

lol with this bomb can thing again.

That rack is one of the nicest home made racks I have seen. Great job.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
That rack is one of the nicest home made racks I have seen. Great job.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. If you look close, you'll notice that around some of the welds theres some weld-burnt paint spots, as if the steel was already painted before I welded and then I painted over it again. Well, yeah, thats pretty much the truth. Every bit of the 1" square tube I used was actually on its way to the trash heap when I salvaged it. Those lengths of steel were once upon a time used as area rug display racks at Macy's Furniture. They downsized some of the display rugs, disassembled the displays, and were planning to trash it all. Sweet! Free steel! But the bummer part, all of it was powder-coated a thick layer of cream white. Every single welded joint had to first have the powder-coating ground off, which added a ton of time to the build. Those burnt-looking spots under the black paint are from the the edges of the powder-coating getting cinged by the weld and then my obviously-half-assed sanding job before I repainted. It was so much extra time and work, I'm not sure I actually saved anything by using the "free" steel.

If anyone is interested, I can build a rack like this to your specs and spare tire size for about $450, which would include the mounting hardware and off-road lights. But, your rack would be much more refined, the one you see here was basically the lab test sample. Shipping will be much easier with the spare tire hold-down rod shortened to mount the spare face-down. Shoot a PM if interested, would be about a 2-week wait.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Oh and yes, it will be bomb-canned to whatever color you want.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #34
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Great job! I always thought if i got around to building one, I would add a "swing-out" light mount to the sides. That way if I needed to do any night-time repairs, I would have a good source of light. Maybe with a pivot on the light itself...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #35
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

Hey, do you have any build plans for this rack. Thinking about building my own. How much did the material cost too.
BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
martymars

Nice Jeep.
martymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #37
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford64 View Post
Hey, do you have any build plans for this rack. Thinking about building my own. How much did the material cost too.
Might wanna read above ^^ He got it free from the trash at Macys
Unread 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Really nice rack. How are you planning to route your cables from the lights into the cabin? I'm at the same stage as you, lights mounted but need to wire in.

Cheers

RockingDad

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.