external voltage regulator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > external voltage regulator?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #1
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

external voltage regulator?

Here's the run down,, couple of weeks ago my wife calls me saying the zjs lights were dimming and the gauge was reading really low, with the warning light coming on..
I assume the alt had gone bad. But when I went and pulled the battery out and took it to Az to charge and test it enough to get her home, when I put the battery back in and started it,, charging as normal. Just shy of 14v.
Hadn't done it for a couple of weeks now but then two days ago it started to read low charging again. Checked connections, seems fine, good grounds, drop load test, all appears ok just reading under 12v running. Turn it off and back on, charging fine. Turn it back on, no charging....
I'm thinking the vr in the pcm is failing.
So I have it wired for the vr mod, just have a few questions,,,,
1. What do you guys think? Am I chasing the wrong dog?
2. I've read different things for the 12v wire coming off the alt, shop you run it from constant or switch power? And the post the 12v wire its ran to, is it the first or second of the two post on the back?( the two tiny ones in the middle) there are two larger ones on either sides.
I have the power wire on the left of the two middle posts, but haven't hooked anything up yet( had hell getting the barrel connections to stay on the post of the vr so I ordered the pigtail from O'Reilly.)
Just hate to get the wires crossed and pop the vr.
Long winded, sorry.

Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #2
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Something that may or may not be related, my side marker light used to go off and on, I could hit the lens and it would come back on. Usually the turn signal arrow on that side would stay lit letting me know it was out. Now I can't get it to come back on by hitting it and the indicator arrow has gone away,,, oh and about the same time people were getting shocked when they closed the doors. Maybe something in that wiring has something to do with the intermittent charging?? Also had the alt tested, tested good. Im stumped.
Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.