extensive unibody frame rail rot!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > extensive unibody frame rail rot!!!!

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

I used to live up north and I've probably fixed a lot of rusty stuff that I shouldn't have bothered with. If the rest of it doesn't look bad, it's probably worth keeping. I always go to the next thickness up for structural plates. It's good if you know someone with a brake for forming the pieces, or you can cut up some square or rectangular steel tube.

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 View Post
GOing thicker than stock does nothing...going thinner is bad, same thickness makes welding alot less stressfull.

But my 89 SJ Grand Wagoneer had rust like that....I sold it for scrap. Once you get bad rot like that its hard to get rid of.
The issue being that the stock piece of steel was bent for strength, the replacement piece won't be machine bent to perfection, so going slightly thicker won't cause any issues and would be a good idea imo.
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
parrothd

Had the same issues on my 93 Cherokee, even bought a mig welder, but just couldn't find the time, found a super clean 5.9 for $3500 so that killed the restoration.. Scrapper came and got it for $275(no title)....
imag0101.jpg  
parrothd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

That's what we used to call a "Flintstone Flyer"!
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't attempt to repair that much rot.
Buy a newer jeep.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Plate it up with 1/8" steel and put a pair of rectangular tubes along the rails, kinda like subframe connectors. They'll restore any lost structure and provided added strength for the stress of future wheeling. When you rebuild any trailing arm mounts try to tie them to the tubing, not just the OE rails.

I would think real hard about adding gussets and/or sissy plates to the rest of the trailing arm mounts. A little goes a long ways and you're gonna be stressing those mounts harder than ever due to the lift components. Even if they look sound it's possible they're corroded to 75% of new strength

75lbs of plate and tubing and that sucker will be stronger than any non-corroded GC.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #22
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

Mine wasn't that bad, but close. I went with front long arms to move the stress points. (Was about to lift anyway) Cut off the lower ca mounts. Used 16 gauge steel to patch the holes. Painted entire underside with por-15. Strengthened unibody with tnt frame stiffeners. I also bought a product from eastwood that coats the inside of the rails to curb the rust from the inside. Believe me and others when the say its worse than it looks. We originally thought the problem was in one small area but as we started cutting, the hole got bigger and bigger. Be ready for a job much bigger than you think. That being said, it was still cheaper than buying a new zj and going from there. GC's around here command a high price. You really need to be honest with yourself about the rest of the rig. In my case, I had a drivetrain in excellent condition and I had done enough work on the systems (elect, cooling, etc) that I know that it would be a huge step backward to buy another one. I also looked into buying a shell and swapping everything...did not have that kind of time. As it was, the work is still being done in stages and has taken most of the summer. I am now in a race to finish before the snow flies. Good luck!
leadfootny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

Best advise yet I'm going to order those frame stiffeners and was already informed on por-15 thanks for the great advise now on to the task at hand time to cut some rust patch and paint
tower93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #24
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

Best advise yet I'm going to order those frame stiffeners and was already informed on por-15 thanks for the great advise now on to the task at hand time to cut some rust patch and paint
tower93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
frame patch , frame repair , jeep build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.