Explorer fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Explorer fan

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Explorer fan

image-2350669871.jpg

Has anyone ever heard of using a 98 Ford Explorer 11 blade fan with and explorer fan clutch? I came across a video on YouTube the other day supposedly it moves more air at idle than the stock metal 5 blade.

94grand52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Here is the video hopefully it opens up
Unread 08-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

I not go to YouTube and type in jeep explorer fan
Unread 08-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94grand52 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICevBmPSPK

Here is the video hopefully it opens up
I hate using jeep forum on my phone too.

I've thought about changing over to that fan. Seen all the videos from the guy that made this video. Right now I have a volvo/taurus fan on mine with a 2 speed relay and sensor. It works very well but the ford fan would be much simpler and I'm an advocate for the k.i.s.s. newsletter. I'm still on the fence.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
AlamoJeeper
2008 MK Patriot 

Our 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis did quite well with its electrical fan with the 4.6 V8 and air conditioning, etc. Right up to the point where the alternator gave up last weekend after 72K miles. When the alternator went away, the battery ran down pretty quickly.

I've heard about how the electric fans save power, but it takes electrical power created by the alternator being turned by the serpentine belt to run electric fans. So, I may agree with jm8881 on the KISS principle. Same may go for electric rack and pinion steering. Although I can see where that may save power, since we go straight down the road most of the time. I remember when power steering was an extra cost option.
Unread 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Looks like the final numbers he used were

Motorcraft YA220 11 blade fan -----used

Hayden 2794 fan clutch

Dorman 620-112 9 blade fan for the spacer that it comes with to be able to space the motorcraft 11 blade fan back toward the engine, just used the spacer not this fan
Unread 08-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Just got done putting the fan and fan clutch on mine so far the temps are much more stable at idle with a/c on
Unread 08-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

The stock fan should be fine. If not then, something else is wrong. For example cracked heads.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Attachment 2333946

Has anyone ever heard of using a 98 Ford Explorer 11 blade fan with and explorer fan clutch? I came across a video on YouTube the other day supposedly it moves more air at idle than the stock metal 5 blade.
Yeah, I put one in my TJ for about a week. I did not have a cooling issue, but was hoping for more air flow at idle for the AC. While it did provide more air flow through the radiator the AC didn't cool any better and the engine sounded like a 747 taking off. So I went back to the stock setup.

JBTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

I saw a 5.2 zj at the junkyard today and the fan on it caught my attention. I though someone had done the explorer fan swap.

Upon closer inspection this is actually a chrysler fan.

It has 11 blades and when you look up the part number (52079654ab) it lists it as "Mechanical. [-HAA], [NMC] Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, [X86+ABD], Calif. Plastic, Fix for TSB 07-06-0, With [NMC]."

No other zj in the yard had a plastic fan. My zj didn't have a plastic fan either.

It seems to have a lot more clearance than the explorer fan does.

It also didn't have any cracks in it and ALL the explorers in the yard had cracks on the fan. So maybe it's more durable as well.

So I pulled it and replaced the electric taurus fan I had previously installed. Its fairly quiet at idle and pulls a good amount of air but it doesn't come close to the low setting of the taurus fan. However as soon as the rpms come up it seems to pull way more air than the taurus fan.

We've still got a few more weeks of 110+ weather to go. We'll see how well it does.
Unread 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

From what I have read that was on California models only, I also read that it was on TSB 07-06-0 but I couldn't actually find the TSB to read it
Unread 08-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
From what I have read that was on California models only, I also read that it was on TSB 07-06-0 but I couldn't actually find the TSB to read it
I can't find any info on the tsb either but I did find that this fan is the factory fan for the early 3.7l Jeep Liberty's. So it's still easy to get ahold of if you want a fan that fits correctly and moves more air than the stock 5 blade metal fan.

Unread 08-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
cubecompmtdx
1996 ZJ 

Hello, I am the person behind the Facebook notes and YouTube videos. It is interesting how much information you can find on the internet. I have been running the YA220 11-blade Explorer fan on my Grand Cherokee for quite awhile now. Only recently did I find out that a select few Jeep ZJs came with an 11-blade fan. This thread seems to confirm that the 11-blade fan was likely a TSB upgrade fan, similar to the case with the early 2000s Wranglers, though it's odd how it would apply only to California models. The 11-blade fan pictured in #10 is made by Eaton, the same manufacturer that makes some of the OEM fans for GM vehicles. It's made of a much harder plastic than the Ford fan. That fan is just like the OEM fan for a 2009-2012 Chevy Colorado 5.3, except the blade tips are curved to fit into the ZJ's curved shroud. A larger diameter variant of that fan can be found on Chevy S10s, Blazers, Astro vans, and Express vans. The ford fan's plastic is more flexible. I don't know if Ford had a specific manufacturer for their fans or not. The lack of the curve in the Explorer fan's blade tips is why it has to sit back so far, though it doesn't seem to affect cooling performance. It just makes getting to things a little more difficult. I've heard of Jeep Libertys having a plastic fan, though every Liberty I've looked at has E-fans only. If I'm not mistaken, there was a recall on the Libertys equipped with that plastic fan due to it coming apart, though I'm not sure if that applies to the Eaton fan or not. If you happen to come across one of those fan blades like the one in #10, I'd say pull it and use it. I'd imagine it probably uses a different fan clutch than the 5-blade, though I assume looking up a fan clutch for an early year model Liberty would get the right part.

For those interested in the Explorer fan swap, I have just posted a new how-to article on the swap, plus additional videos.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/bikeg...93445257553379

Get this...

The stock 5-blade fan with a new fan clutch pulls roughly 5MPH of air at the grille

The Explorer 11-blade with new fan clutch pulls roughly 7MPH.

Both tests were with the Jeep warm-idling in park. I wonder how much air the TSB CA 11-blade Eaton fan pulls under the same variables...
cubecompmtdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #14
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

I there anyway you could post the part number off of the fan clutch that was used on that ZJ with the plastic fan that you found in the salvage yard? It would be nice if it used the same clutch as the factory metal 5 blade fan.
Unread 08-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
cubecompmtdx
1996 ZJ 

I can tell just by looking at the image that the plastic fan is using a different fan clutch than the one OE to the 5-blade. There are several Grand Cherokee 5.2's at my local U-Pull, and their 5-blade fans have a heavy duty fan clutch, looks much different than the fan clutch attached to the 11-blade TSB fan. The fan clutch attached to the TSB fan pictured is a severe duty.

Here's a Hayden fan clutch that might work. It didn't list the 3.7 V6 as one of the engines. It looks like mechanical fans were very rare on the Libertys.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot...dp/B002WLFAB4/

Here's an Amazon listing for what appears to be the same as the Chrysler fan pictured

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysl...dp/B005VLPUI0/

Note the model number is one character off at the end then the fan in this thread, This one ends in D instead of B. The fan's out of stock at the moment. Due to the rarity of this fan (unless you're in California), you would have to buy it new. It's not cheap either. $80 is a lot of $$$ for a fan blade. It's still questionable whether this fan performs best, or the Ford YA220. Assuming you buy everything new for the Explorer fan swap, and sell the unneeded Dorman 620-112 fan to someone else (keeping the spacer), you may still come out cheaper than buying a new fan clutch and the Chrysler fan.

Here's some measurements (pictures) of the YA220 fan. Note for those of you swapping the Dorman 620-112 onto Wranglers, you might want to give this fan try. I did try the Dorman fan on my ZJ and it doesn't pull anywhere near as much air as the 11-blade YA220. The fan's overall diameter is 18in.
003.jpg   006.jpg   009.jpg  
cubecompmtdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.