Exhaust systms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust systms

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Closed Thread
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Exhaust systms

I have a 94 ZJ with the 4.0, i strapped on a magna flow muffler on a eliminated the Cat, but i left the stock pipes. Will this hurt my performance? The stock pipes are really small, so is the new muffler doing nothing because of too small of pipes? thanks!

lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

I'm no performance pro but a more flowing pipe is more than likely helping same with eliminating the cat and replacing it with a test pipe. I heard somewhere someone correct me if i'm wrong but a 2-3/4 pipe is the best size for the 4.0. I believe stock is 2-1/4.
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

...btw eliminating the cat is illegal by federal law...I see closure ahead!

Anyways, from what I've read you need a little bit of backpressure on the 4.0 to have it reach its full potential...but keep in mind it just wasn't meant to go fast lol. They make hi-flow cat's and mufflers.

PM Kolak, he's the man to talk to with exhaust.
zander21510 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
...btw eliminating the cat is illegal by federal law...I see closure ahead!

Anyways, from what I've read you need a little bit of backpressure on the 4.0 to have it reach its full potential...but keep in mind it just wasn't meant to go fast lol. They make hi-flow cat's and mufflers.

PM Kolak, he's the man to talk to with exhaust.
hey now he installed a test pipe.
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
Buzz98zj
1998 ZJ 

Can't believe this wasn't shut down yet. Lol we don't discuss emissions here.
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

put a cat back on it. no performance gain from it being gone, it's illegal, it's bad for the planet.

ratmonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
exhaust , exhaust system , muffler replacement , performance improvements

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.