Exhaust sounds like a can of rocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust sounds like a can of rocks?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
YJDuff
2002 WJ 

Exhaust sounds like a can of rocks?

I've noticed that when I put my jeep in drive and have the brake on the exhaust sounds like it is filled with rocks...Could that be from a bad muffler or converter? It barely makes the sound in park...I was also thinking if it was shaking enough to be hitting against something. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. TIA

245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R
Rusty's Tow Hooks
YJDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

usually this comes from having a broken catalytic converter. The inside honeycomb material breaks and sounds like the rocks that you are describing.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
YJDuff
2002 WJ 

Thanks for your extremely fast reply! I will look at replacing it. I've received feedback from Kolak about exhaust upgrades. I guess now I'm forced to replace it. Thanks again!
245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R
Rusty's Tow Hooks
YJDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

You can tap, beat, or shake that converter just to make sure before you go replacing it. It should sound solid when you shake it. If you hear stuff rattling around then it's wore out and needs to go. You may even begin to notice poor flow issues or throttle response if it gets really bad.

I have a solid exhaust system but get a noise from mine. It turned out to be a worn bushing on the shift linkage to my transfer case. When the exhaust shakes it makes this bushing move around a bit.
Tweaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.