Exhaust Smell When Driving HARD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust Smell When Driving HARD

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Exhaust Smell When Driving HARD

This is my 1st post here and will be one of many!

Anyways I have a '96 ZJ with the AMC 242 and whenever I seem to drive it hard like flooring it to get on the freeway or just having some fun I smell a faint exhaust smell in the cabin. Is this a common thing or could it have potential to turn into a huge PITA down the road?

My initial thought was a blown gasket or something that is causing loss of compression..but my baby does feel sluggish or is showing any signs of a blown gasket at all.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

How loud does it sound? My first thought is a cracked manifold, which is very common on the I6. You can often see the crack in the 2-1 merge. Otherwise, check the exhaust for leaks. Not sure how much power you are expecting, but these things are certainly not considered quick really...especially with the miles yours has.
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

The only peculiar noise I hear when driving is a faint clicking that only happens when I give it gas. I looked into this and someone else said cracked manifold as well.

Is it common for the intake or exhaust manifold to crack? Or both?
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

exhaust manifolds always crack on these from heat cycles. get a bellowed manifold or header.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

this happens to me when I'm leadfoot or long time sitting at idle. Check both. I have a small leak in mine which will get the smell to me. I found my exhaust leak after dipping her in water during some OR and happened to hop out to check something else.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.