Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

exhaust problem/rattle

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  QuadraTokn 
#1 ·
Well for a while now my exhaust or somethin has really been pissin me off. When my car is in neutra or going in reverse sometimes, i hear a loud rattle in the back of my car. I think its my exhaust pipe rattling against something but with my luck, everytime i get under there to listen and diagnose the problem....the POS noise stops. Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this?

#2 ·
Heat shield from the Cat?

or

The pipe needs better support to keep it from vibrating at lower rpms?

#3 ·
i had the same problem when i got under there the noise would stop, then i thought to tap up and down the exhaust till i heard the rattle, found out the tailpipe mount was wedged on top of a part of the hitch. so check the mounts too,

#4 ·
i just fixed that problem. put it in neutral on flat ground and pull the parking brake... soo it doesnt move. then go look where the tail pipe passes the gas tank. mine rattled against that in reverse and drive all the time when i was stopped. if so adjust it so its not touching. hope that helps... made a difference for me. a big one

#5 ·
I bet the cat has gone bad.

Hunter

#7 ·
Texas ZJ1 said:
I bet the cat has gone bad.

Hunter
Thats what I'm thinking has gone wrong with mine.. looks like the stock style cat. (rusted to crap) And an after market muffler and system in the back.. mount looks good, plenty of clearance down the whole length.. Muffler has some rust but its solid.
So here is the thing, intermitantlly the thing will rattle like hell under exceleration.. sounds like its coming from the back of the jeep. First time I heard it I thought the whole system fell of and was dragging behind me! looked, looked again.. nothing! Some days its fine others I cant get it to stop!
Either one of the baffels in the muffler its self or the "brick" in the cat is shot. My next step is to hollow out the cat to see if that is it! then I'll get a high flow cat or something.

Maybe somebody doesn't like me and stuck rocks or marbles down my pipe! :rofl:

#8 ·
if its aftermarket tail pipe after the muffler then its probably bumping into your gas tank skid. on the wj, the tailpipe is already really close to the tank i noticed where it kinda cuts in there where the tailpipe is supposed to pass yanno/and since the pipe is bigger then before it would be even closer obviously. considering its an 04 itd be weird if it was the cat or something like that was bad already. mine i decent still at 116k. plus im sure it didnt rattle before u installed that FM 40 lol

fixed my rattling exactly like yours just a few days ago. just twist the pipe in the end of the muffler so that its further away from the tank.

#10 ·
ArloGuthroJeep said:
Ahhh yes, there is a TSB that when ever you hear a rattle and get under there to examine it, the rattle stops. The TSB was for a psychiatrist I believe;):rofl:
lol thats a knee slapper right there. :2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.