exhaust problem i think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > exhaust problem i think?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
PolishRedneck
1998 ZJ 

exhaust problem i think?

I just replaced my exhaust manifold and it was running good until later on in the day.. when I shut the truck off the exhaust rattles

PolishRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the exhaust can rattle in a lot of places.

the bolts at the flange are hard to torque, you may need to torque them while it's hot to get them to hold. most of the time you have to do some persuading to get it to line up.

did you torque the manifold bolts to spec?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
PolishRedneck
1998 ZJ 

the rattle is coming more from the tail pipe area. The flange is tightened as much as i could get it.. And yes the manifold bolts are torqued to 24-26
PolishRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The most likely place for a rattle in the tailpipe area is when it's up against the fuel tank metal heat shield. Did you loosen up the hanger/exhaust brace on the cross-member near the back of the front pipe or anything else on the exhaust when replacing the manifold? Also make sure the very rear hanger on the tailpipe is good pulling it away from the fuel tank shield. I've had to get a new rubber donut if stock or some other type of universal hanger adjusting it further away before.

Sometimes the tailpipe can rattle against the rear sway bar as the pipe loops over it but more likely it's the fuel tank heat shield.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

On the 2.5" tail pipe I have the closest places to touching are the heat shield, the track bar, and the sway bar. I had to heat and bend the rear hanger on the tailpipe to move everything toward the outside of the Jeep so it would have good clearance all around. Now I can grab the tailpipe and push/pull in any direction with no problems. The OE rear hanger on mine is silicone rubber; still as good as the day it left the factory despite being 21 years old.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , exhaust , exhaust manifold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.