Exhaust leak question (o2 sensor)?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust leak question (o2 sensor)?!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRay08 View Post
If you dont want headers youll need to replace that crush section on the y pipe from the headers. Then youll want 3inch pipe all the way thru with a new magnaflow cat and a flowmaster muffler.
I would go this route if you can.

As for the rough idol I would check all the vacuum hoses and clean the iac valve.
I had the same trouble and found a couple of vacuum hoses broken from the cruise control vent solenoid. My iac valve was also dirty.

exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRay08 View Post
Correct me if im wrong but i heard if you want headers there 700 bucks. If you dont want headers youll need to replace that crush section on the y pipe from the headers. Then youll want 3inch pipe all the way thru with a new magnaflow cat and a flowmaster muffler. im looking to get a new exhaust myself and if i read correctly this is the way to go. again please correct me if i said something wrong
It depends JayRay if you're going for performance with a loud exhaust as you outlined above. With the 4.0, rather than 5.2, I went for exhaust parts similar to OE but a just a little louder. And I don't buy exhaust parts for our 3 Jeeps anywhere else other than Advance since you can use discount codes for big savings. Normally I can get $40 off a cat, and another $40 off a muffler, using the below discount codes ($40 off $100-$110+). You would need to open a free online account to do this, use a credit card, and place 2-3 separate orders (3rd order would be for the exhaust/tail pipes/hwd). In ordering these parts they have to be in stock at the local store you select or have them shipped to your home for free (shipping is free if total order after discounts is $75+).

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=4582125

This info is for poster Area11 who asked about exhausts too. I went with the below Walker Direct Fit stainless steel cat and it has just a little more throaty sound than OE. Believe this fits both the 4.0 and 5.2. Cost is $129 but total is $89 plus tax after using $40 off discount code.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...14983|L3*15311

On the Magnaflow cats you'll have to look to see which one is best for the cost. Keep in mind the length and inlet/outlet diameters may be different than OE. Plus you may have to order some extension piping if too short.

BTW, on the manifold/o2 sensor discussion I wasn't directly insinuating this is your problem. Don't believe the exhaust manifolds cracked on the 5.2 like they're known to do on the 4.0. Just something to check and believe checking for vacuum leaks as was just mentioned is another to look at. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Thank you very much for the input on my question.
Area11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area11 View Post
Thank you very much for the input on my question.
You're welcome and want me to do some shopping for your 98 5.2 while showing you how to use the discount codes? Lol, and as already mentioned you'll need to open a free online account while using a credit card for the purchases.

I would assume your front pipe from the "Y" pipe to the cat is still in fairly good shape so this is for the cat on back.

Order 1: Go with the "Walker Catalytic Converter -Ultra Direct Fit, #15820" I already posted the link to. Once in the cart select the store for pickup (where is stock) or shipped to home. Then enter code "RETMENOT124" or "TRT41" and it will knock $40 off the $124 price for total of $84 plus tax. I just ran both those codes through the cart and they work.

Order 2: Go with "Walker Quiet-Flow SS Stainless Steel Direct-Fit Muffler, 21276". Not sure why some people are whining in the reviews since worked fine by me. Price is $93 and add 3 "Rol Exhaust 2 1/4" HD Muffler clamps, 51712" at $3.19ea so that would be $9.57 + $92.99 for total of $102.56. Again enter one of the same discount codes, I've used TRT41 most often, and that will knock $40 off the price so total would be $62.56 plus tax.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...335#fragment-2

Order 3: Go with "Walker Tail Pipe, 54079" at $42.99. Not as thick gauge steel as OE but does the job. Add 1 "Rol Exhaust 2 1/2" HD Muffler Clamp, 517212" at $3.19 which is for where the exhaust pipe connects to the cat. Total for tail pipe and clamp is $46.18. Add in more clamps or lets say you need a "Walker Exhaust Insulator, 35460" at $6.99 which is the rubber oval doughnut which holds the end of the tailpipe up. So total for pipe is $42.99 + $6.99 = $53.17. Enter code "ES123" and it will knock $20 off for total of $33.17 plus tax.

So total before discounts is $279.72, less $100 in discounts, for grand total of $179.72 plus tax. Not a performance exhaust system, a little more throaty than OE, and worth saving 100 buck using these codes. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.