??exhaust help?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ??exhaust help??

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

??exhaust help??

Just wanted to get some input on a setup. Its gonna be all 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe, flowmaster 10 or Flowmaster original 40 (havent decided). Now, im trying to decide on whether i want to dump the exhaust after the muffler or just have a mandrel bent tail pipe. I will be sticking with a flowmaster but not sure which one. So dont try to encourage me to get something else. I just need the input on getting either a Flowmaster 10 or original 40 and either mandrel bent tailpipe or dump. What do you guys think is louder/sounds better?
Thanks guys.
I forgot to put in here that it is a 4.0l

Last edited by Airborn; 07-03-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

You just can't beat that Flowmaster sound, I would go with the 40 series just to keep it to a nice rumble, no need to have a stupid loud 6 cylinder. Do you have a lift? when I put mine on I went with a 44 series off road 2.5" output then got a piece of 2.5" pipe bent up to match the stock ultra restrictive pos and had to cut and bend it to clear the rear swaybar due to the drop brackets, it was kind of a pain but the end result was a good flowing exhaust that comes out in the stock location. I was debating having it dump out the side but I didn't want the exhaust coming out right under the door where my kids sit, and also I was worried about it getting crushed between the sub frame and a rock.
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
melk
1996 ZJ 

Go with a 40/44 and dump it after the muff.

Side note: I've seen the diamond-plate "off road" version but can't find any info on it, thickness or weight or anything to show that it is in fact any beefier than the standard version.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
niles6284
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn View Post
Just wanted to get some input on a setup. Its gonna be all 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe, flowmaster 10 or Flowmaster original 40 (havent decided). Now, im trying to decide on whether i want to dump the exhaust after the muffler or just have a mandrel bent tail pipe. I will be sticking with a flowmaster but not sure which one. So dont try to encourage me to get something else. I just need the input on getting either a Flowmaster 10 or original 40 and either mandrel bent tailpipe or dump. What do you guys think is louder/sounds better?
Thanks guys.
I forgot to put in here that it is a 4.0l
I had an exhaust put on after my pipe rusted off on mine. local shop installed it for me, had 2 1/4 inch pipe bent up following the stock location along with a Flowmaster 40 Series. I really like the sound. its not to loud at all highway and in town driving it is surprisingly quiet and it also has a decent sound when you get on it a bit. hope this helps you
IAFF Local 379
niles6284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys. Ya i agree mudruna about the stupid loud thing. I think i will just gow with the original 40 then 2 1/2in mandrel bent tailpipe exiting out the stock location. I have no lift so theres nothing to worry about there.
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
fish99wj
1999 WJ 

i have a original 40 on my dub its a 4.0 too and it aint to loud and its got that deep tone. i like it alot
fish99wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I sure like running the exhaust all the way back. Keeps the exhaust gases out of the cab.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Side note: I've seen the diamond-plate "off road" version but can't find any info on it, thickness or weight or anything to show that it is in fact any beefier than the standard version.
it is a bit beefier than a regular flowmaster, not that a flowmaster is a weak muffler to begin with, haven't bashed it off any rocks yet but I am sure it will hold up fine. And it isn't much heavier than a regular 44 series.
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

I got a Thrush glass pack on a 6 and it sounds pretty mean. The only downfall is its pretty loud when i start it up. Which i dont mind, but my neighborer's do lol.
slayercr23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

i have the flowmaster 40 on my ZJ and i have dual exhaust...now since my jeep is not lifted quite yet i have the tips coming out on both sides of the Jeep juss before the rear tires. I love the sound of it, its got a nice lil tone to it when i idle at a light and sounds great altogether. if you want i can get some pics up of it if i dont have any already in my profile
Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
R.I.P. Ratmonkey...Your now wheelin with the angels
VolcomPunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

hey not to change the thread or anything but how would you go about converting it to duals?
slayercr23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust , flowmaster , loud , muffler , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.