Exhaust and Cat Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust and Cat Repair

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-12-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

Exhaust and Cat Repair

My 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0L cat and muffler need to be replaced after 106K miles. My goal is to find a performance system with the best MPG and as quiet and cheap as possible. I'm willing to weld or bolt on anything needed.

First Q: I live in KS so no emissions laws, so Do I need the Cat?
Will I suffer on MPG with the cat gone?
(if cat can be taken out o2 sensor OBDII eliminators will be used.)

Second Q: I've seen a cat back I could use at JCWhitney for around $185 is this a weld on application only. And does it matter for weld on or bolt. I think I'd prefer to weld so I know it won't slip or leak exhaust fumes.

Please let me know what everyone else has done, except going to Midas. This is something simple enough I'll take care of, besides my Jeep runs, but I have noticed MPG going down a bit more and the cat (not the heatshield) is rattling more and more. Since I'm replacing the cat I know I'm going to be replacing the Muffler at the same time.

Thanks,

97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
rodd1857

Cat

My cat is rattling as well.......had it checked out at jeep.....muffler was fine but cat needed replacing.......jeep wanted $875 to replace cat..........muffler shop wants $200...........think I will use muffler shop.......good luck to you........but your muffler may be ok......mine is a 95 gc ltd
Unread 02-13-2003, 06:30 AM   #3
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I do know that after 106K a muffler can get pretty full of deposits and these deposits can cause the cat to get hot and break down more quickly so as cheap as mufflers are in comparison to cats. I feel it is always safer just to replace both when your doing a job. It also makes it so much easier to do it yourself, you just take the cat loose and don't have to put back the muffler or even dislodge it from the cat.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't want to pay a muffler shop 120 for labor for a quick job, expecially when I can put on a performance system with that money, but then again I enjoy working with my hands and God's blessed me with the knowledge of working on things.
Unread 02-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
Mr.momjgc

Hey guys check this out. --- http://warpspeedperformance.com/jeep.htm

I Just installed this system on my '95 Laredo V8 and I've got to say that for everything that these guys provide, the entire exhaust system from the manifolds back, this product is quite the bang for the buck. There are several different muffler options so you can make it as loud or quite as you want. The install went pretty well except for the right side Y pipe and that wouldn't have been so bad had I not dropped the socket extension on my forehead twice. My Jeep is louder than my 2k silverado with an american thunder system. I put the 3" system on with a highflow carsound cat and used the flo-pro muffler it came with. I think that the jeep sounds awesome, not ignorantly loud, but loud enough that no one doubts it is a V8. Any way hope this helps.
Mr.momjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2003, 07:45 AM   #5
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

That does help. I found that site yesterday and waiting for pricing information from them. I defitely appreciate the recommendation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.