Exhaust bolt sheared by mechanic - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust bolt sheared by mechanic

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Ouch. Those end studs see a good bit of force from the differential heating of the very long steel header flange. I broke that rear one tightening it the first time I had the header off. I was able to drill into it with a short drill bit on a 90 degree drill head and pull it out with a straight fluted screw extractor. I replaced both studs after that.

zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Talk is cheap. Prove it. No pictures. No happen
Sure thing ... I'll run right out and find a ZJ so I can bust a manifold bolt off it because I feel such a great need to prove myself. Or maybe not. How about I just use google?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=2UbG...emoval&f=false

Or if that's too much reading ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFSA0r6JpM8

Proof enough?
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
pwoodbury1
1995 ZJ 

Huh. Way cool. Cronaweld 333. Well, that was way beyond the capacity of these guys. Horizontal busted bolt too, not vertical. Thanks for the links....I'll remember this going forward.
pwoodbury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
jeepjeepster

My gosh!!! Almost $1000?!?! They broke the bolt?!

What did they do to get it out??
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It can be done with common rods too. The 333 is just a particularly specialized rod for the technique. I run a brushful of anti-splatter gel into any threads exposed to serve the same purpose as the 333's fancy flux. Horizontal makes no difference with a quick freezing rod. The whole thing works because as the heat sinks down the restant it makes it expand. It wants to expand in all directions, but it can't because it's width is constrained by the walls, making all expansion go lengthwise. Then it cools and shrinks ... but it shrinks in all directions ... leaving a piece that's now slightly longer, and slightly skinnier than before. The added materiel and welded on nut are little more than a handle at this point. Run a thread chaser or tap down the hole to clean up any distortions and you're back in business. A practiced hand at it can clear the hole in under 10 minutes.

I will say, I've never attempted this on an aluminium head.
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

personally, think pepboy's should have paid to have it extracted or bought you a new head.
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
KoolAidMan888
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me View Post
personally, think pepboy's should have paid to have it extracted or bought you a new head.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.