Exhaust bolt sheared by mechanic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust bolt sheared by mechanic

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
pwoodbury1
1995 ZJ 

Exhaust bolt sheared by mechanic

inline 6 cylinder 1995 ZJ. PepBoy's mechanic says he has sheared the very last exhaust bolt close to tranny and can not drill out the remaining shank. Now they claim the head needs to be removed. All I wanted was to remove/replace the cracked exhaust manifold. Argghhh. Any suggestions on extracting that last bolt shank ? Thanks in advance.

pwoodbury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Find a better mechanic for one. With the manifold off, it should be possible to weld a nut to the remaining shank and spin it out.
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professur View Post
Find a better mechanic for one. With the manifold off, it should be possible to weld a nut to the remaining shank and spin it out.
This X2 . The heat will also free up the bolt . Every time I do this , they come out easy after .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Ouch. There's very little access right back there, which is the main problem.

Presumably the bolt sheared flush with (or below) the surface of the cylinder head? That's the only reason why you'd need to contemplate pulling it. If the head of the bolt sheared, there'd be plenty of shank left to weld a nut to, as has been said.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
PTECH
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Ouch. Presumably the bolt sheared flush with (or below) the surface of the cylinder head? That's the only reason why you'd need to contemplate pulling it. If the head of the bolt sheared, there'd be plenty of shank left to weld a nut to, as has been said.
Bingo. Nobody is gonna pull the head just for fun.
PTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 02:07 AM   #6
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A half assed mechanic who can't weld would. I've seen it done with the bolt half an inch recessed. Take a stick electrode and grind a sharp point on the tip. You can bend it 90 degrees if need be. So long as the coating is intact on the sides only the tip will arc.
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
pwoodbury1
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I need a new mechanic for sure. I am renting down here, my garage with tools is back near Boston. I believe the bolt did indeed shear at or below the outside face of the head, but I will call them as soon as they open to verify that. Pepboys has no welding capability...I suppose I could argue that they could hire someone to come in. Or tow it to a better shop. Is it a stupid idea to support the engine-tranny, loosen or remove tranny cross-member, loosen or remove engine mounts, then drop engine-tranny carefully to gain more clearance? I dunno....hard to believe a sheared bolt necessitates removing the head (which they will then screw that up somehow). Yeah time to find a mechanic I can trust....like finding a needle in a haystack.....I'm new around here. BUT - thank you all for your input and suggestions !!
Unread 07-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoodbury1 View Post
Is it a stupid idea to support the engine-tranny, loosen or remove tranny cross-member, loosen or remove engine mounts, then drop engine-tranny carefully to gain more clearance?
Without going to look at my ZJ I'm not sure that would help, in fact I think you'd possibly be making the access worse unless you went all the way and dropped it so far it completely cleared the frame.

Removing the hood and cowl would probably improve access though.

Quote:
I suppose I could argue that they could hire someone to come in
This. Surely if Pep Boys is willing to take on jobs like replacing exhaust manifolds, it needs to be fully prepared for the possibility of sheared bolts?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
pwoodbury1
1995 ZJ 

okay thanks
Unread 07-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoodbury1 View Post
inline 6 cylinder 1995 ZJ. PepBoy's mechanic says he has sheared the very last exhaust bolt close to tranny and can not drill out the remaining shank. Now they claim the head needs to be removed. All I wanted was to remove/replace the cracked exhaust manifold. Argghhh. Any suggestions on extracting that last bolt shank ? Thanks in advance.
There is your problem there. Take these guy's advise for the extraction and do yourself a favor and DO NOT GO TO PEPBOYS

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
pwoodbury1
1995 ZJ 

I hear ya.
Unread 07-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

While you'll never be able to prove it the twit pep boys mechanic probably had a socket/wrench on a bind/angle to snap that back bolt off to begin with it. Get it outta there before they do any more damage!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

".... PepBoy's mechanic...."

That says it all. What were you thinking?

Call a reputable shop with real techs, have them tow it to their shop, fix it and bill Pep Boys.
if Pep Boys doesnt pay...here's what to say to the small claims court judge:

"Your honor, when it became apparent that the novice at Pep Boys was in over his head, I decided that a more experienced tech needed to complete the task, in order to mitigate further damage to my vehicle. In short, I no longer trusted Pep Boys."

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professur View Post
A half assed mechanic who can't weld would. I've seen it done with the bolt half an inch recessed. Take a stick electrode and grind a sharp point on the tip. You can bend it 90 degrees if need be. So long as the coating is intact on the sides only the tip will arc.
Talk is cheap. Prove it. No pictures. No happen
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
pwoodbury1
1995 ZJ 

Cost of a Dorman 674-196 exhaust manifold (Amazon) $ 137.57 free shipping
Cost to extract my jeep from Pepboys ------------------ $ 943.16
( yeah but 10 % discount coupon, free oil change, free gaskets, LOL )

Now that furthest exhaust bolt position has been over-drilled and a helicoil inserted.
but finally, I'm driving my jeep again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.