Excessive Road Noise & Resistance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Excessive Road Noise & Resistance

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Excessive Road Noise & Resistance

I've been having this on-going problem for months, but it's recently seemed to get A LOT worse - I'm hoping someone can help me.

When driving I’m getting this "wooing" sound that’s in a "whirling" type of sound. It's definitely speed-dependent - so the sound goes with the speed of the car.

But recently when I go above 60mph, it gets A LOT worse. I was driving on the turnpike and at 60 it gets louder, 70 I can actually start to "feel" the speed (if that makes any sense) and when I let go of the gas, I can actually feel the Jeep slowing down.

I checked the RPMs and they were just below 2k - so I know the OD was kicked in - but you would never know it from how it felt.

I tried doing 80, just to see what it would do, and it honestly scared me to keep it at that speed. The noise was louder, the Jeep "felt" like it was going 100+mph, and as soon as I let go of the gas, I could defiantly feel it slowing down - it loses speed quickly. I also felt like I had to really keep with the gas to get it at 80 (if I didn't it went below 70 in seconds) - as if it was really struggling - it was never that way before.

I don't really notice a difference in the acceleration or anything else, just crusing. My girlfriend even made a comment about it tonight, and she usually doesn't notice things like that.

I drove it for 120 miles of turnpike today and the temp and oil pressure gauges both looked normal the whole time.

Can anyone help me with this? Or give me a direction to work from?

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

My guess would be bearings, axle, wheels, something in there.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

How many miles on the vehicle? I'd say probably ready for unit bearings and shafts too. Usually the shafts will click, snap, or pop when they're bad, especially when putting it in revers. Much less labor to do both at the same time.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

34,500 miles - and I don't recall ever hearing any snaping or poping sound - the noise is only while normal driving. I took it doing some light wheeling a couple weeks ago and it didnt make any weird noises.

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.