A self-diagnostic test is used to determine that the trip computer, compass, thermometer, and all of the display module segments are operating properly electrically. Initiate the self-diagnostic test as follows:
(1) With the ignition switch in the Off position, simultaneously press and hold the Step button and the U.S./Metric button.
(2) Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
(3) Continue to hold both buttons until the display module performs a display segment test. In this test, all of the vacuum fluorescent display segments are lighted.
This test will:
a. Verify that all display segments are functional
b. Check the internal circuitry of the module
c. Check that all of the CCD data bus messages needed are being received.
(4) Respond to the respective test results as follows. If all tests are passed, the module will automatically return to normal operation.
d. In the display segment test, if any segment should fail to light the unit is faulty and must be replaced.
e. If the internal circuitry test is failed, the module will display “FAIL”. If “FAIL” is displayed, the unit is faulty and must be replaced.
f. If the CCD data bus message test is failed, the module will display “CCD”. If “CCD” is displayed, the use of a DRB scan tool and the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual are required for further diagnosis.
(5) Momentarily depress and release either button one time to exit the self-diagnostic test mode and return the trip computer, compass, and thermometer display module to normal operation.