Eventually going to make 3 link arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Eventually going to make 3 link arms

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Eventually going to make 3 link arms

I want to covert my front to long arms and make the cross members and arms my self. I'd use square tube, where exactly on the lower arm do I mount the other though? It would be adjustable at one end of all arms. Other end will be just rubber or something.

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Nvm I googled and found it. 18" ish for upper and about 34-36 for lowers only one y link and one lower on other side. Going to make a new cross member out of box tube and mount the lowers off of that

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thats a radius arm, not three link.

you should just look at something from claytons and IRO.

unless someone is giving you material free, the cost is close to the same.

to give you a hint; 2"x.250 DOM tubing (what you need to do this) in materials for all arms came in close to 150$ (local price etc) you need to use .250 wall. nothing thinner. the upper
joints; i would go with currie JJs. two of these with the proper bungs/jam nuts was 150$ canadian. on US websites they are 44$ a piece. you need about three of them. you also need axle end regular bushings. those if i recall came close to 40$ a pop. so for all joints i needed to make these arms, i was at 400$ and 200$ in materials. NOT including the cross member, which is just going to be a whole bunch of fun for you to make. edit; i'm sure you can use some other cheap/crap bushings, but if you're using anything other than JJs and clevite type bushings, whats the point?

so like i said, unless someone is giving you the materials (at a loss to them?) and is wiling to put in a whole lot of time building this, its not worth it.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

You can use 2x2 sq tube .25 thick for lowers and 1.5x1.5 sq tube .125 thick since its not going to be hitting rocks when I priced out that dom vs the 2x2 the DOM was 15 bucks a foot the 2x2 was 5 bucks a foot I do not recall anyone using the 1.5 sq tube for a front upper thoigh I have seen it on the rear upper.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.