Evaporator Core - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Evaporator Core

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #1
automan25

Evaporator Core

Has anyone ever replaced their evaporator core? I understand that this is the most common problem with Jeep A/C systems. How difficult is it to replace? I'd like to save the small fortune that it would cost to have my mechanic do it.

Unread 07-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
gcl97

I have found that Jeep issued new updated procedure listed in TSB 24-02-98 to replace evaporator core. However, you would have to order the details of the TSB from DC by calling 800 number or by going to their web site.
gcl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 01:56 PM   #3
Intrepidjeep

I'm no AC mechanic, but I believe the core is welded in, so you'd have to take the old one off and weld in a new one. This wouldn't be a job to learn about welding, since the ever so tiniest flaw will cause a slow leak, and you'll be doing it again....

It's my (possibly ignorant) suspicion that a pretty good percentage of cores get replaced when they've really simply started leaking at a factory weld.... Of course when you're doing all that work you may as well replace it, but to have to do it just because the weld could have been done better in the first place....
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #4
automan25

Sounds like a real pain in the A** job. Perhaps I will have my mechanic do this one.

http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/

Last edited by automan25; 07-28-2003 at 04:42 PM..
automan25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.