Evap. canister mystery hose??? Help!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Evap. canister mystery hose??? Help!?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 11-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Gazang
1997 ZJ 

Evap. canister mystery hose??? Help!?

Hello thar,

Have a '97 5.2l zj, pretty much stock.
Recently replaced stock air cleaner system with a k&n CAI. (Cone filter)
Upon stock air box removal I noticed, what looked to be, a roughly 3/8" inside diameter hose coming up and out under the driver side headlight from the evap (charcoal) canister, and it was just cut off right there and plugged with a giant lag bolt. (From previous owner )
The smaller hoses going into/out of the evap. duty cycle solenoid seem to be intact.

What is this mystery hose for / what does it do / where is it supposed to go?
** Pretty sure the nice folks over at chrysler aren't in the business of plugging random hoses with lag bolts... or are they ? lol

Any help is appreciated... love this site!
JS

Gazang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

it is supposed to have a vent cap on it. try a junkyard to get a replacement.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazang View Post
Hello thar,

Have a '97 5.2l zj, pretty much stock.
Recently replaced stock air cleaner system with a k&n CAI. (Cone filter)
Upon stock air box removal I noticed, what looked to be, a roughly 3/8" inside diameter hose coming up and out under the driver side headlight from the evap (charcoal) canister, and it was just cut off right there and plugged with a giant lag bolt. (From previous owner )
The smaller hoses going into/out of the evap. duty cycle solenoid seem to be intact.

What is this mystery hose for / what does it do / where is it supposed to go?
** Pretty sure the nice folks over at chrysler aren't in the business of plugging random hoses with lag bolts... or are they ? lol

Any help is appreciated... love this site!
JS
It's the filter for the evap system that recycles fuel vapors. The tube goes from the canister under the bumper to the filter. Hook it back up. Is your engine light on?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Gazang
1997 ZJ 

Nope, no CEL. Is that filter right there by the canister/duty cycle solenoid area? Or do I need to scrounge up some more hose and re-route it?

Btw, there seems to be some discrepancies in the replies... is it in need of a vent cap or attached to filter? Same thing (semantics)?

Thanks for the replies!
JS
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

there will be no filter unless it's cal emissions. if all you have is a purge solenoid and canister, you need a vent cap.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Gazang
1997 ZJ 

Muy bueno.
No cal emissions. ... Looks like i need a vent cap.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
there will be no filter unless it's cal emissions. if all you have is a purge solenoid and canister, you need a vent cap.
I have the filter and an LDP. : Damn you California.

The other day I got a CEL for P1494 LDP switch bad. Searched around and it's not the elbow at the manifold. Also have small evap leak code. I've been fighting these codes for almost three years now. I've replaced every line possible, just getting frustrating at this point not being able to find this mysterious leak.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.