Error P1294, dead battery after vacation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Error P1294, dead battery after vacation

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Error P1294, dead battery after vacation

I was gone for only about 5 days with temperatures topping only 85f however my battery died. I have an optima yellow top battery which is about 14 months old, but I have a very powerful JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier which puts out at least 1000rms and a 1 farad capacitor

After I jumped my car my voltage was fluctuating like crazy and now my check engine light is on and my idle rpm is at 600rpm

the error code is P1294
P1294 (M)
Target Idle Not Reached
Target RPM not achieved during drive idle condition. Possible vacuum leak or IAC (AIS) lost steps.

My question is, should I wait it out, I only do city driving and haven't really been able to do a decently long drive yet, or should I get my alternator checked out?

Unread 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

What voltage are you charging at?

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

when you started it. did it idle up like normal during warming and then drop. or did it just immediately idle to 600rpms? cause if the idle control on the throttle body took a dump you may need a new one. and find out with a mA meter and track down what killed your battery thru the fuse box.
BigE3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
ABerry
2004 WJ 

I'm not sure but I think it dropped immediately to 600rpm

how would I find out thru my fuse box?
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
I'm not sure but I think it dropped immediately to 600rpm

how would I find out thru my fuse box?
take off the idle control and clean it with brake clean. could be gunked up.
then take a volt meter and set it to highest mA and test each fuse port there should be minimal mA's going thru. if it all looks ok. then it could be a relay sticking. im going thru the dead battery thing now myself. so I guess we'll figure out this problem together.
BigE3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
ABerry
2004 WJ 

What should the normal idle be at for the 4.0? I went back out and it seemed to be idleing smoother and at around 750rpm now
Unread 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
ABerry
2004 WJ 

BUMP for idle speed of the 4.0

also, my idle starts at about 900-1000 when starting the car after hours of sitting, then it drops to 600rpm or so after about a mile... the car also idles like butter after initial startup when at 900 or so rpm, but after driving a little the idle drops to 600ish and there is a pulsation idle like rough, butter, rough, butter but changes back and forth over a second if that makes sense

again to clarify the WJ had ZERO issues before my vacation where it sat for 4-5 days, after coming back the battery was dead and after a charge, only jumped it for like 30 seconds (if that made a difference) we are having these problems

I really find it hard to believe there is a physical problem, it seems like it is all in the computer

I also unhooked the battery and hooked it back in (after about a minute of it being off), the code never cleared, and the problem occured as if I never unhooked the battery
Unread 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

From my experience WJs act absolutely wacky when the battery is not functioning properly. I'll probably get flamed to no end for this, but those yellow tops are not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion. I worked at an Advance auto for about 3 years, and they were by far the most returned battery and almost every time the tester confirmed it was no good. I would just take the battery to autozone/advance and have them double check it on the tester/charger. Just make sure they use the correct setting, absorbed glass mat (AGM) if I remember correctly.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
ABerry
2004 WJ 

thx for the advice, I went to autozone and battery is perfect, alternator is the issue, the max it put out was 13.5v when it should be at about 14.5... would my idle issue explain the alternator?
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's good the battery is OK. I'm thinking that the slightly lower output of your alternator would probably not cause you the trouble you're having, especially while sitting for a week, unless it had a shorted winding or something and was creating a small draw. I'd say you probably should start looking for a draw at the fuse box with a volt meter if it continues.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
ABerry
2004 WJ 

The check engine light went off, but still doesn't seem like it idles perfectly... could this be a for sure sign of the alternator now that it may be charged up but still not perfect?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.