Engines hot after sittin in traffic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engines hot after sittin in traffic

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Camd94224
1989 CJ7 

Engines hot after sittin in traffic

So when im sittin in traffic with the ac running the engine gets to about 230 but if im sitting in traffic when the ac off it only goes a tiny bit over 210 and when im driving around the temp gauge is at 210 all the time.. My dodge with the 318 never ever ran this hot. Could the thermistat be binding or the rad isnt giving it the correct flow it needs to keep it cool?

Unread 08-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Maybe thats because your sitting in traffic.

In the summer.

With the AC on.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Camd94224
1989 CJ7 

Hmm my brother can do the same thing in his jeep and my friend can do the same thing and it stays cool. So dont tell me its traffic
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Is your fan clutch working? If it's getting that hot you should be able to hear your fan roaring as you increase rpm.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Is your fan clutch working? If it's getting that hot you should be able to hear your fan roaring as you increase rpm.
Agreed.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
tacozappy
1997 ZJ 

im having a overheating problem also, i've replaced the thermostat , the water pump, the radiator, coolant flush, fan clutch, burping. im out in texas where its sticking around 103. should i remove my thermostat?
tacozappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacozappy View Post
im having a overheating problem also, i've replaced the thermostat , the water pump, the radiator, coolant flush, fan clutch, burping. im out in texas where its sticking around 103. should i remove my thermostat?
Is your fan shroud intact?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Removing the thermostat won't help. If coolant flows too fast through a radiator it'll flow back into the block before it has a chance to cool. How about your radiator cap?
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Hopefully this isn't viewed as hijacking the thread - because my question is similar to the OP. How many people are running a second fan?

I've been thinking of trying to find a way to add a small auxillary e-fan that I could manually operate when I'm offroading at very slow speed (and I suppose it could be a partial solution for the OP as well).

Unlike the OP, I haven't seen a large increase in engine temps in traffic/slow offroading - my clutch fan has been doing just fine. BUT, I like the idea of giving my engine compartment a little boost of air movement with an auxillary fan when I'm idling or going very slow.

I've searched a bit, but it would be great if some people would post some pics here for ideas/share what fan they added as a secondary one.
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcyclone View Post
Hopefully this isn't viewed as hijacking the thread - because my question is similar to the OP. How many people are running a second fan?

I've been thinking of trying to find a way to add a small auxillary e-fan that I could manually operate when I'm offroading at very slow speed (and I suppose it could be a partial solution for the OP as well).

Unlike the OP, I haven't seen a large increase in engine temps in traffic/slow offroading - my clutch fan has been doing just fine. BUT, I like the idea of giving my engine compartment a little boost of air movement with an auxillary fan when I'm idling or going very slow.

I've searched a bit, but it would be great if some people would post some pics here for ideas/share what fan they added as a secondary one.
There really isn't any room in front of the radiator. Plus, if you could stuff one in there, it would become a restriction for the viscous fan while it wasn't running. You'd pretty much have to ditch the clutch fan and convert to 100% electric.
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, makes sense. I thought about the air restriction, but wasn't sure. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I assume you are correct.

I know many have had good success going 100% electric, I just hate to change my current set up because it works okay "as is". I'm sort of a "don't fix what isn't broken" type of guy. In this instance, I was just hoping someone had a good solution to augment what was already there.
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
tacozappy
1997 ZJ 

i also replaced my radiator cap brand new, i think i might have a bad head gasket. i saw a product called blue devil, and was wondering if anyone has used this before. i dont think i have anything to terrible, but the oil has been contaminated. would i have to take my thermostat off cause that would just be a pain, i have tooken the thing apart to many times.
tacozappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Sitting in traffic in the middle of summer with the A/C on for extended periods will cause the engine to heat up. That's life. The engine has to make more power to run the A/C equipment (more power = more heat), and the transmission is generating heat while idling in drive for extended periods in traffic. All the while, you're not moving, so you can only draw as much air over the radiator as the fan will pull, which frankly isn't enough when the air pulled over the radiator is as hot as it is. My advice: suck it up. You're gonna have to deal with heat issues if you're sitting in traffic with the A/C on. Which is to say you're gonna have to turn the damn A/C off and sweat so your Jeep doesn't have a bad time. My other advice is to idle in Neutral if you're in heavy traffic, and occasionally idle it up to 1500rpm or so, to increase fan speed.

Your Jeep is running perfectly fine, I'm sorry to say.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Roll down windows
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

My 4.0 does the same thing, i made a thread about it too.. but as i recall growing up as a kid with this Jeep and my mom driving it.. it always went above 210f to the 220 range before she noticed it and turned the a/c off and rolled the windows down... Only does it in traffic too.. It still does it and im 27 years old now lol, it has a new radiator too.. I doubt its a worn clutch fan because if it did it 10 years ago well.. its probably because the cooling on these things is pretty inefficient.

My 5.9 tho doesn't have this problem.. pretty much every 5.9 owner I've talked too always has temps in the 195-200f range.. Sitting in traffic with my a/c i have seen it creap too 210f but no higher then that. I think the electric fans pull more air then clutch fans do (when the electric fan is on that is) but my electric fan is on pretty much 24/7 the low speed sensor seems to always click on at 205f and refuses to shut off even if the engine is at 195-200f.. I noticed this when my low speed died and i replaced it with a junkyard one... Its weird but oh well at least with it on so much itll keep my tranny cooler lol
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.