Engine Won't Turn Over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Won't Turn Over

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
1996Limited
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Engine Won't Turn Over

So I own a 1996 Grand Cherokee ZJ Limited (4L, V6) that I've recently taken off-roading for the first time. After climbing mud, rocks, and occasionally forging some standing water, she made the hour and a half drive home that night without incident. The next morning however, I can't get the engine to turn over. It starts up and just sputters back out. All the gauges are disengaged except for the fuel gauge which reads low/empty even though there is at least 3 gallons of gas in there. Why won't it start? Somebody help, please!

1996Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
dpshoup
2002 WJ 

You're gonna get spanked because ZJ's didn't come with a 4.0 V6...it's an I6. Did you check the battery? Try to jump it?

[COLOR="DarkRed"]02 WJ-4.7 My DD[/COLOR] [04 WJ-4.0, 00 XJ-4.0 Gone]
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]03 WJ-4.0 Dau #1 DD[/COLOR]
93 ZJ-5.2 Dau #2 DD

[COLOR="Blue"]USN Jeep Club #153[/COLOR]
dpshoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

If it stays running for 2-3 seconds before dieing, likely it is the security system kicking in. It could also be possible that you hydrolocked it running through the water.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpshoup View Post
You're gonna get spanked because ZJ's didn't come with a 4.0 V6...it's an I6. Did you check the battery? Try to jump it?
kinda like his 96 FSJ cherokee? mythical creatures they are!

zjs aren't made for water. jump the battery and see what happens. if that doesn't work/ grab the blow dryer and start airing things out.

also, the factory alarm will engage if the battery was disconnected. use the key fob to disengage or turn your key in the door locks to disengage. are your lights flashing?

Tags
engine , grand cherokee , problems , start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.