Engine upgrades for my ZJ anybody??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine upgrades for my ZJ anybody???

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
dbhale
1998 ZJ 

Engine upgrades for my ZJ anybody???

I want to get some more horsies for my beloved vehicle but do not know where to start.

dbhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Don't bother. Change the gearing instead.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
dbhale
1998 ZJ 

Oo ok didn't think of that, thanks,
dbhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
rgreen

no, hughes engines air gap intake manifold, 1.7 rockers, sct tune... i would know, my jeep ran a 13.7 in the 1/4... all this was done on a stock bottom end w/ 135,xxx miles on it.
rgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen View Post
no, hughes engines air gap intake manifold, 1.7 rockers, sct tune... i would know, my jeep ran a 13.7 in the 1/4... all this was done on a stock bottom end w/ 135,xxx miles on it.
Well you can't do that with a 4.0 which is what he has plus is doesn't make sense to increase HP to make up for gearing. You gear it right then add the HP.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

best way to add HP. remove 4.0, install gm LSx.

but to add it to the 4.0, trying to polish a turd. you may get it to shine, but the shimmer is quick to tarnish.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
rgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Well you can't do that with a 4.0 which is what he has plus is doesn't make sense to increase HP to make up for gearing. You gear it right then add the HP.
first i didn't see where it said it was a 4.0L, also you can get a turbo kit for this engine. as for gearing it all depends on what your purpose is with the jeep, street or offroad. my jeep was on the the stock 3.73 gears.
rgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen View Post
first i didn't see where it said it was a 4.0L, also you can get a turbo kit for this engine. as for gearing it all depends on what your purpose is with the jeep, street or offroad. my jeep was on the the stock 3.73 gears.
Info is in his profile. 4.0's came with 3:55 gears with a few in 3:73 if specified. Tire/rim size matters with gears and he's running 31's(also in profile) so to get it back in stock range he needs 4:11. If you want more grunt off the line taller gears are it.

4:11's would have been better for the v8's too but 3:73's are better for the highway mileage.

Search for TurboTPI He did a custom inexpensive turbo for his 4.0.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

theres a ton of things you can really. comes down to money, knowledge and time. you could:

build a 4.7 stroker
swap in a LSx
find a 5.9 driveline and swap in

or if you want just a little more throttle you could start probably with a tune-up, a lot of people dont realize how crappy their vehicle runs until they install new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, new O2s and seafoam the engine and injector cleaner....

after a tune-up for the 4.0 i threw on 703 injectors, 60mm TB, 99+ intake, and a header and that seemed to have a little better throttle response. i dont have the money to throw in gears along with the 4.0 i dont want to build up my 30/35 when i plan on swapping axles down the road so ill just let them be right now, im not going over 33s for awhile so for what i do they are just fine. but the intake and TB are what seemed to help the most after a good tune up
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

99+ Intake manifold swap, bored TB, header (I had a Pacesetter on my '94 Wrangler and it was a great replacement for the stock manifold), high flow cat, exhaust and '703 injectors would make a nice difference for about $1k, assuming you do all the install work yourself. You can get some nice roller rockers from Yella Terra, but they cost $texas.

Other than that, you'll want to regear, but that can cost substantially more if you don't do it yourself. Being that you're only running 31's, I would do what I mentioned first and wait until you know what tire size you ultimately want to run before regearing.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

gearing will utilize what power your existing motor has.

i can't wait to run 4.88s and 33s. be a rocket. i'll roast civics

you can add all sorts of stuff to your motor for better horsepower. but the added power still only comes at higher RPM. its torque that drives your motor at lower RPM; and all that crap won't increase it much. so if your motor is still chugging along at 2000rpm the only difference you will 'feel' is the one you manifest in your mind to try and justify all the money you just spent.

only way to get more ponies out of a 4L is to go internal; aka stroke it.

unless you really, truly feel the engineers at Jeep that designed a motor that can easily go half a million miles (the venerable 4L) 'missed' something when building the motor to make it stronger, and more reliable.

but hey, who am I right?

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.