Engine Trouble?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Trouble??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 10-03-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
slaterny

Engine Trouble??

When I start my 96 gc (I6) my engine makes a not pleasant noise when I accelerate...I think it might be a noisy lifter...when the engine gets nice and warm, the noise goes away...a "car guy" I know recommended Marvel Mystery Oil and said that since it goes away when warm, it's just a noisy lifter, and not stuck...

how does this sound to you folks?

p.s. it's got 93k on it...

Unread 10-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaterny
When I start my 96 gc (I6) my engine makes a not pleasant noise when I accelerate...I think it might be a noisy lifter...when the engine gets nice and warm, the noise goes away...a "car guy" I know recommended Marvel Mystery Oil and said that since it goes away when warm, it's just a noisy lifter, and not stuck...

how does this sound to you folks?

p.s. it's got 93k on it...
Not too familiar with I6. But this is general stuff. Pusher should give noice at half engine rpm. Serious problem; listen to a puff with that frequensy at exhaust outlet. Puff with steady frequensy, could be a problem. As I wrote earlier, rubber/garden hose as a stetoscope will probably locate where the sound comes from. Don't get your ear in the fan. In general, unpleasant sounds on cold engines no problem. Knocking hot engines, problem. Got a Ford V6 with ratteling pushers on cold engine for at least last 50K, no problem. By the way, don't relay too heavely on "magic" in boxes. They often do not work. When I was i kid, we put all kinds of funny "magic" stuff in the engines. Think we killed off more engines than we saved. With your I6 that have only done 93K, it is quite unlikely that you have a sereous problem. That is if the engine has been maintained according to the book. You are not one of the guys with a cracked ex manifold?
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
PDshooter

My 98 GC I-6 with 137K dose the same thing.
When you first start-up it sounds like a "Bucket of bolts"! About a mile down the road ,and the noise is gone?

I would'nt sweet it!
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
slaterny

I usually only hear it when I start driving (not sitting at idle), but yes, it seems to disappear after she's nice and warm...I guess I'm just a little nervous, since I only bought her about 2 months ago....

couldn't be happier, especially considering what she replaced: a 93 ford tempo!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.