Engine Swap 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited "WJ" With 07 Libirty Nitro 3.7l - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Swap 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited "WJ" With 07 Libirty Nitro 3.7l

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Mnemonicz

Engine Swap 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited "WJ" With 07 Libirty Nitro 3.7l

Hey there, i would like to know if it would be possible to swap a engine from my 2000 jeep cherokee limited Wj with an engine of a Dodge nitro Liberty 3.7l I6, does any 1 know if it would fit.

here is the engine on ebay

07 08 Dodge Nitro Liberty 3.7L Engine 3.7 Motor 12K LKQ

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Let me know if this swap is possible? Will it fit???

Mnemonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Anythings possible with enough money and skill.

BUT, taking a V-8 out of your limited for that hunk of **** 3.7 would be extremely stupid. You're going to lose serious power, and more than likely not gain any fuel mileage.

I might be taking a shot in the dark here...but you even asking this question means that you probably don't have the know how to do the job.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
gbauer
1999 WJ 

What he said.
gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
99avant

This would probably be more work than it is worth. What is your aim with this project?

The 3.7 hasn't quite proven itself as the 4.0 and 4.7 have, but it seems like it might.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Mnemonicz

Well thanks alot for the posts "Firefight" the whole purpose of this is to get my 2000 grand jeep cherokee up and running, it's been into an accident and the frame is in prime condition, however needs body work new radiator and doesn not start (Battery most likely dead), as well as i had a cylinder down before the accident, poor baby has been in a rough battle till 2004, My plans with this are to A rebuild the bosy (Done), B rebuild/replace the engine.

Now i was thinking about getting a new engine block and rebuilding the one i have now since it hasn't been moved since 2004 and been outside with no protection, was thinking of doing a port polish on my V6 4.0l I6 Engine (do not have the V8), and in the meantime driving it with the Dodge Nitro 3.7L Engine (since it set me back on 500 CAD).

And Yes Firefight, I do not have the complete know how, however i am in my 2nd year in the Automotive industry and am able and willing to bust my balls to get my jeep back on the road. I have a Mechanic friend who is willing to help me on the weekends and this process is going to take me several of months, we have the tools but time is the main challenege.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the engine swap process?, or should i go ahead so i can have access to a car while we repolish rebuild and test the V6 engine???

Thank you all
Mnemonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
99avant

You should have no problem finding a donor WJ to pull another 4.0 from...

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99avant View Post
You should have no problem finding a donor WJ to pull another 4.0 from...
x2 on the WJ donor! It's gonna be way less custom work, why not spend the extra time it'll take you to swap in the 3.7, and do some work on a 4.0?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
gbauer
1999 WJ 

I'm confused: you say you want to rebuild the existing engine, but yet you want to put in a completely different engine setup while you rebuild so you can drive it?

Do you have another ride? If so, pull the darn engine and rebuild it already. Save up the money you'll spend on the 3.7L (not to mention the other parts that you'll need to swap over! Little parts like: transmission, cooling parts, motor mounts, ecu, etc, etc...) and put it into the rebuild.

If you're gonna rebuild it, do it right.

If you're gonna swap it, just get a V-8 and be done with it!

(that said, if you're going to swap in a V-8, you'll be money ahead to just buy a Jeep with a V-8 already in it...)
Unread 08-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

3.7L - V6.

4.0 - I6.

The 3.7 is basically a 4.7 with two less cylinders. If you're gonna swap that, you might as well swap in a V8.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Just find another 4.0 to swap in. It is not worth the effort to make everything happen to put a 3.7 v6 in there. It would be a complete waste of money to fab everything to get it in there, especially if you are taking it back out. You cant just throw in a engine that never was in there before. I wish that were the case, but its not that simply, especially these days with all the computer controls.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemonicz View Post
I have a Mechanic friend who is willing to help me on the weekends and this process is going to take me several of months, we have the tools but time is the main challenege.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the engine swap process?, or should i go ahead so i can have access to a car while we repolish rebuild and test the V6 engine???

Thank you all
Time is not the main challenge. The main challenge will be putting an engine in a vehicle that it doesn't belong. You can't just swap the engine...you're going to need a trans, drive shafts, etc...not to mention you'll need to rewire the whole thing. This is not easy task, and a complete waste of time and money. You're not gaining anything from it either, which is the worst part. If you even have the time, know how, and money to do this swap, I'd look to spend atleast 3-4k before its all said and done. You could have a helluva nice 4.6L stroker I6 for that kind of coin.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

I'm scared, you say you're in your second year of the auto industry, but you don't know the difference between a V6 and an I6??

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
h2opolokeeper1
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
I'm scared, you say you're in your second year of the auto industry, but you don't know the difference between a V6 and an I6??
Lets not be a **** to the guy. People make the mistake all the time. Im sure you have to.

For the swap I would not recommend it but it would be a learning curve and who all can say that they have done that before. lol
Flowmaster Super 44
IRO 4" Long arms
31" Maxxis Bighorns
h2opolokeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
gbauer
1999 WJ 

If your gonna go this far, put in a LS motor....

(has anyone done it? I'm sure somebody has tried as there's an LS swap in just about every vehicle ever made now....)
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
If your gonna go this far, put in a LS motor....

(has anyone done it? I'm sure somebody has tried as there's an LS swap in just about every vehicle ever made now....)

Now that would be worth the work.......

slap another 4.0 in there and call it a day. Even if the motor costs more, it will still be a lot cheaper in the long run.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.