Engine Shudder / Transmission problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Shudder / Transmission problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Engine Shudder / Transmission problem?

So, my girlfriend's jeep (98 ZJ 4.0, 242 TC, 197,000 miles) has suddenly developed a large problem. It started when I was stopped at a light, and I started to feel some slight vibrations. Then, later on the same trip, while stopped again, the vibrations got worse. By the time I had it home, it was shuddering severely and felt like it was having trouble getting power. Once in the driveway, I put it through some tests.

Reverse has the worse shudder, which causes the engine to shudder, as well as the rest of the vehicle. It makes it seem like the engine is shaking.

In neutral, the shudder recedes to a quiter vibration.

In park, it is somewhere halfway in between reverse and neutral for severity.

I just checked the levels of all the fluids, and it was low on tranny fluid. I topped it off. It has been shifting hard into reverse for about half a year or so now.

Any help would be appreciated!

jczj318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.