Engine shudder/check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine shudder/check engine light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Engine shudder/check engine light

Hey guys, I have a straneg issue that started up after wheeleing yesterday. Here is exactly what happened throughout the day.
Driving through the desert on a desert clean up campaign I organized and my battery retainer snapper (long bolt broke away from the hole at the bottom) and the battery slid over and snapped the top of the ignition coil. Well the coil had a pin that enabled it to slip back in and get ziptied up to get me out and home. Well I was on my way out of the sand and came down a dune when my ABS kicked in and I lost all braking power which made me jump the next small dune and leave the ground for about 5 feet, then I landed almost on the nose hard but all seemed fine. I stopped the engine to remove the ABS fuse just in case it happened again and the dam thing wouldn't start up. Everything was working fine and it just seemed to want to turn over.
Well i got towed out and my older friend tried an old school trick of turning the engine over manually by the crank flywheel to get it moving. After that we tried to start it and after a few turns of the key the starter slowly engaged and got me going again. After that I have had a strange stumble/shudder when idling and it seems a lot worse when stopped at a light and still in drive. So much so that the whole cab rocks side to side as though the engine is reving at its limit.
I am in two minds here.
1. Ignition coil
2. Crank position sensor being messed upi by trying to turn over by hand.

I aint had chance to go check the code yet but would these two be a good place to start?

Sorry for the long post, but need to get this sorted soon as I have another tip next week and don't want to fall apart in the sand again!

Unread 12-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

sand in the starter?
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
ZombieJeep93
1993 ZJ 

Sounds like misfire, maybe due to the coil taking a hit. Maybe sand/dirt on crank pulley? Hand cranking engine shouldnt cause any crank sensor problems.
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So if it is just sand in the crank pulley (by pulley you mean the wheel that the belt goes on?) then that would come off on its own right? If not, then where do you mean by crank pulley?

I can't see it benig sand in the starter, could be possible, but I have never had this issue in the three years I have been sand wheeling in the ZJ. Always a possibility though I guess considering how hard I came down.
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If yuo take a look at this pic, the top of the hump is where I left off, then the next set of tracks, about 5 feet or so I think, is where I ended up landing on the front wheels first. Gives you an idea of the angle I would've come down at.
img_5056.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody else have any ideas? It feels like it is misfiring or something. It hesitates when taking off and has an intermitent stumble/shudder when I hit 80kmh+ unless I am flooring it!
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so I changed the ignition coil as that was toast anyway. Is there a big difference between a 4.0L and a 5.2? I think the PO put in a smaller coil as the wire seems to have been cut just below the plug and a different plug fitted. I grabbed on from the JY last night as I was in a rush and had to just grab it and go. I got home and found the plug was cut and replaced with a different one!
Also, when the coil snapped in the sand the engine backfired like a 12 bore going off behind me. Could that have fouled the spark plugs? I will be picking up some new plugs and a plug gap adjuster tonight anycase but would like some more opinions before spending the cash.

Thanks
Unread 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Swapped the plugs, still no gravy! I am finally gonna go and getthe code scanned tonight to see if that will sort me out, but after some research I think it may be a damaged/clogged cat. I hope not, but lets see.
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

2x on the cat after a landing like that.
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
2x on the cat after a landing like that.
I thikn the main damage to the cat would've happened when the coil snaped and it backfired, but maybe the hard land was the final straw on the old donkeys back eh!
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I just replaced the cat, exhaust & pipe, but still have that infamous PCM shut off while driving problem that I'm working on. It back fired once and blew out the whole system.

Unread 12-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh crap, well that's no good is it. I am just waiting for a quite from IRO to get a cat to tip system in 3". The total for the parts is about 300 for cat, muffler and tail pipe so I guess the shipping will run another 100-150 to my neck of the woods!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.