Engine running hot - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine running hot

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

I live over in Gilbert AZ, so I know how hot it gets over there You seem to have changed the big pieces in the cooling system, but have you checked to see if your condenser (right in front of the radiator) is clogged up with any crap? None of those pieces amount to a lot if whats in front of all of them is blocking a lot of the air flow. I have a 4.0 and in the same heat you have, my needle never goes above the middle line.

Unread 07-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

My 95 V8 stays at the line before 210 weather its freeway or city driving here in Wisconsin. I don't use AC though. According to my coolant bottle the fluid is low but I just added some in a few weeks ago and I don't want to over fill it...brand new rad+hoses and no puddles.
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
ThreeGPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclark25 View Post
i have the 5.2 and i run a 180 t-stat.

without the AC on, it stays at about 180 both in town and on the highway.

with the AC on going down the highway, it will slowly creep up to about 210 and stay about there.

in town with the AC on, it will slowly creep up, and up, and up... i will shut the AC off when it gets a needle's width above the 3/4 mark... 225 i believe it is. so i'm shutting it off when it gets to about 230.

i'm pretty sure i need a new fan clutch.

i can rev it in neutral while at a stop light and i can't hear the fan at all. if i park somewhere after it gets hot, i can hear the fan engage at idle and i can feel it moving a lot of air through the grille, as soon as i rev it up a bit to about 1500 rpm, it seems to disengage and doesn't move near as much air while holding the revs at 1500.

the only time i hear the fan actually roar is on cold startup.

does this sound like a bad fan clutch? sorry if i'm hi-jacking OP's thread.

I just paid attention to this tonight when I started it from cold after thinking about the fan clutch and started to connect a few dots. I get that same 'roar' with my first acceleration on a cold engine. It sounds pretty rad. However, I noticed that after the engine is warm, I never hear it again. I've also heard this strange droning when I'm driving especially under power/up a hill, etc that I've not been able to isolate. My initial thought was its something in the drive train or front differential but now I'm thinking that same noise may be related to the fan clutch.

Are there any good threads on here for replacing one and is there any advantage to getting the heavy duty one vs. standard?
ThreeGPs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.