Engine rotates but no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine rotates but no start

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
turk

Engine rotates but no start

'ello all. So my 98 ZJ 4.0 decided not to start again today after I returned from Dunkin Donuts. It started fine earlier and about 3 hours later I go to start her up and the engine rotates, but no start. I had this happen once before, last week. Though last week it started after 4 attempts. I have seen some posts of similar problems but did not see any conclusive causes (it is entirely possible I just overlooked it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in avance,

Turk

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #2
RockPaws

Hard to say, need more info...
Any fuel pressure? possible fuel pump problem.
Any spark? Ignition problem.
Check all electrical connections, make sure they are secure.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2004, 01:20 AM   #3
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

I had the same problem, turned out to be a fuel delivery issue. At 95,000kms the fuel filter was the original factory fitted one, car had been dealer serviced for 6 years without them ever replacing the fuel filter (prestige dealer my a$$, I hope they take more care with the porsches and ferraris they sell), it ended up fouling the fuel pump and the landed-in-australia cost for a fuel pump was $1700!!!

Last edited by djorkboy; 05-03-2004 at 01:22 AM..
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Check the ignition coil?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Pull the coil wire off the distributor and hold it close to the block. If you have spark, then I would suspect the fuel pump, but I would not rule out the Cam & Crank sensors. Your problem is very difficult and annoying due to the issue being intermittent.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

I dont know how common the crank position sensor going bad is on ZJs, but it tends to be one on XJs of most years. Try checking that out - basically get the codes read on it if you can.

-Christian
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
turk

Hey all thanks for the input. Due to time constraints I took it to a garage near my house and had it diagnosed (and fixed before I heard the diagnoses). It was a combination of a bad crank sensor and a bad pick up (pic-up). I wish I had more time to diagnose and repair it myself. I would have save at least $120.00 in labor charges and maybe a bit in parts cost. I guess if you do not have a garage and time to work on your vehicle you have to do what is necessary.

Anywho... Thanks again!

Turk

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorkboy
I had the same problem, turned out to be a fuel delivery issue. At 95,000kms the fuel filter was the original factory fitted one, car had been dealer serviced for 6 years without them ever replacing the fuel filter (prestige dealer my a$$, I hope they take more care with the porsches and ferraris they sell), it ended up fouling the fuel pump and the landed-in-australia cost for a fuel pump was $1700!!!

For Fuel Pump replacement issues, check out the link in my sig. It's fooking brilliant. Much love, Swampy

*edit*
Damn, you have to be registered to view it now... that's bull

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.