Engine Revs on Start up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Revs on Start up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 04-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Charlee

Engine Revs on Start up

What would cause the engine to rev up to 2000 rpm on start up and then it will drop back to 700 rpm and idle . This now happens every time the jeep is started.

Charlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
shortthrow50

im tryin to figure out why my girlfriends jeep is doing the same thing. she has a 4.7. i cleaned the iac, etc,etc. her idle goes up and down to 1-2k rpms. then she throws it in drive lol. I took the thing to have it scanned and there are no codes. the tps looks good too. Im gonna try a few more things today and ill let you know if i have any luck
shortthrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
chris_nm1
1998 ZJ 

Mine is doing the same thing but I now learning that all my problems are directly related to my BCM going bad. I had the blinking interior lights, Factory alarm going off at random and my overhead console no longer keeps track of mileage. I am in the process of looking for anoth BCM with the exact same P/N as mine.
3" Teraflex Lift
Terflex Quick Disconnects
31x10.5x15 BFG A/T KO
chris_nm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Charlee

I took the Jeep to the dealer last week. They reset the new idle motor that I put on. That was on Thursday. Said it was good now. It is back there today. Still reving to 2200 on start up. I told them to try another new idle motor . Will see what happens today.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Charlee

There was a computer update that had to be flashed. Seems to be good now.
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Charlee

4.7 HO still revs too high on start up. Even put on another new idle motor. That did not help. Seems to work okay for 3 or 4 days after having the PCM flashed but then reverts back to reving high (2200 rpm) on startup.
Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix.
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
normes
2000 WJ 

I still have this problem but when I took the air box off and cleaned the (for lack of a better word) butterfly value the idle was low a start for the first about 10 starts. But know its back up to reving to 2000 at starts. And sometimes when my car is in park it will just rev all on its own up to like 1500 and then come back down and run this cycle. This ussually happens after I drive and put the jeep in park before I shut it off. Idk if these are both part of the same part failing. All I can say is that I would like to get this fixed it cant be good for a cold motor to rev that high.
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

guys... have you checked for a vacuum leak yet? that will cause this exact problem.

A vacuum leak CAN also cause symptoms such as rpm's that aren't steady (ex. floats between 1000-2000 rpm, up and down.)
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
andar
1994 ZJ 

My ZJ was doing the same thing a few weeks ago....with engine light on. the OBD said it was a oxygen censor, give that a try maybe
andar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Ric02WJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
What would cause the engine to rev up to 2000 rpm on start up and then it will drop back to 700 rpm and idle . This now happens every time the jeep is started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Anchovies View Post
guys... have you checked for a vacuum leak yet? that will cause this exact problem.

A vacuum leak CAN also cause symptoms such as rpm's that aren't steady (ex. floats between 1000-2000 rpm, up and down.)
I have the exact same problem with my 4.7H.O It rev over 2000rpm on startup and then drop but it's not always steady
Unread 05-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

o2 sensor can also do things like this, since there is no monitoring of lean/rich mixture.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #12
Posers

Just to add to the mix of possible cures. Back when I was into my Honda's this used to be common after doing engine swaps. Seems that what would happen is if there was any air in the coolant lines it would shift and get stuck in the hoses that would run through the throttle body. So you would get that weird idle. A good flushing of the coolant and making sure to use the bleed valve on the upper rad hose would solve it. It was the tipping of the engine on the hoist that would cause the air bubble to move.
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
pauler
2001 WJ 

Mine did that when it was colder, just kinda subsided as of late ...

Not that I mind either way, personally I think it sounds badass when my truck starts up and instantly jumps to 2k RPM, its funny 'cause my truck sounds more powerful starting up than my sisters civic at redline, heh
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #14
Jet 4.7
2001 WJ 

Replace Throttle Position Sensor, my 4.7 had this also, this is very common problem and cheap to fix!
Jet 4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #15
Jammer73
2000 WJ 

if cleaning the carbon off the IAC motor didn't work, which is typically the cause, then make sure the vacuum line from the side of the throttle body to the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid(I think) is connected. Youll find the hose is not long enough & will come off when the engine revs hard, as the engine leans over. A common problem, but you will also get an erratic idle as well. Once reconnected it takes up to 10 start cycles to settle back down. Worked for me, as I was about to buy a new IAC, but now don't have to. Just need to cable tie the hose onto the solenoid, or bend the solenoid frame towards the TB. This is the hose:

Jammer73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.