engine question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > engine question

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
fletcherlefty
1994 ZJ 

engine question

replaced water pump about a month ago now thermostat housing leaking so gonna fix figured while i'm there might as well replace thermostat what is the best temp to use for all around. my gage now says my temp usually runs about 210 thats after i replaced the temp sensor before it was around 200 also this morning when i cranked my jeep it had a squeek thought it was probably a bearing in one of the pulleys after a few minutes it stopped and didn't do it again until after it had set and i started it again this afternoon so i started listening to see if i could tell what pulley it was after checking it seemed the noise was coming from the distribitor could even feel it through the wires has anyone encountered this or could it be coming from some where else and making it seem like its coming from dist. just had the tensioner pulleys changed less than 6 months ago any help or thought would be helpful and if i changed the distribotitor whats a good choice. the jeep is a 94 4.0 with 165,000 miles on it.Thanks!!

fletcherlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

If the squeal goes away after awhile, My bet is that some antifreeze is getting on the belt/pulley and causing the noise...Fix the leak and see if it continues....I doubt that its coming from the distributor....could be the alternator, but fix one thing at a time......a reman'd distributor should be fairly cheap at any local parts store, if you need it that is...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

My 98 made a definite squeak when the distributor bushing went bad. Would do as op's and gradually got worsr as time went on till I replaced it.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Factory thermostat temp is 195*. I run a 180 in my ZJ due to the warm weather here. Opens a little sooner and the engine runs a little cooler
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

In warm climates a lot of people get away with 180's without upsetting the computer.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
erisbrow
1994 ZJ 

Next time you crank it have a half gallon of water handy with the hood up. If it squels pour some water over the belt system. If that causes it to subside the problem is probably anti-freeze on the belt/pulleys. Otherwise I would say a pulley is bad...I havent heard of this distributer bushing, but my experience is limited...
erisbrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.