Engine price? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine price?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Engine price?

Whats the prices on used 4.0 ZJ engine's in US???

My friend needs one for a 98 ZJ, cause his engine overheated and blew the tops

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

Prices range from $150 to $1300 depending on location and condition. Check car-part.com to find local junk yards to find one. The usually list condition, miles and warranty (if any) for parts. If he has a pick and pull nearby, he can probably get one for less than $200 but would require more work on his part.
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

ATK replacement

3yr, unlimited mileage warranty. Much better than going junk yard

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Thx, i will look into Those for sure,
And i would deff prefer a rebuildt over JY one all day, but this might be a budget issue,,,,
Let's the ideas keep flowing on how to get the jeep going again fast and cheap
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
David97
1995 ZJ 

You could probably get one out of a junkyard and just overhaul it for pretty cheap. Rebuild kits aren't that much. Plus used 4.0s are fairly cheap depending on where you get yours.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

What year 4.0 engine's will be compatible and plug'n play into this 98 4.0 ZJ?

Are all ZJ 4.0 engines fron 92-98 compatible?
Will a wrangler or cherokee 4.0 also Work,
Or if any, what year to look for?

All info highly apriciated, thx guys

Now i know what prices Are overe there,
Next to check is used engine with warranty, around here local (Norway), or Sweden where the Jeep broke down, and where we Are going to pick it up,,,,,

Btw, its for free if we Go pick it up
So anyway its a great deal

Unread 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

My guess would be that 96-98 would all be compatible....but it's only a guess.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
ajmorell

93-98 I think and yes XJ and TJ 4.0's will work. You can swap all of the OBDII stuff and accessories over to an OBDI engine no problem. FWIW, I paid about $600 for a junkyard motor with less than 100k on it. It ended up needing to have new crank & cam bearings, hone job and new rings on it. The JY reimbursed for the parts cost but not the labor. Is there any reason he cannot rebuild the engine currently in there? That would be the route I'd take if I did it again.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

depends on if you want a direct swap or dont have a problem switching over OBDI to OBDII. Easiest would be finding a 96-98 zj since everything is the same. But as ajmorell said 93 to 95 would work if you swap out all the OBDI stuff, I think the TPU would have to be redone too but i'm not sure
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

A rebuildt will be more expensive due to labour costs here in Norway,
he feel quite confident doing an engine swap vs a rebuildt himself, tops needs prepping/hone job, which cost same as an low millage bench tested engine with 6 months warranty from Sweden.
He also have a workshop and all tools needed for the swap Job, so this might be his route to Go.

Edit: got this recomended>>>
http://www.jasperengines.com/mobile/
Shot them an email, rebuildt is the best Way to Go IMO.

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Pass on Jasper. If you really want the best, go with Hesco

They are bar none the best 4.0 guys out there. If you want to call, ask for Bennie

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Thx, i will look into That.

What will be the mods needed to fit a 93-95 engine, and or disadvanteges?

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

I ran into this when trying to locate a short block for my 00 XJ. Basically any 4.0HO bottom end from a XJ/YJ/TJ/ZJ is the same from 1990 to 2001 except in the case of the 99+ WJ, and 2001+ TJ models, those WILL NOT fit due to motor mount casting differences in the later blocks.
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

So, heads pulled, piston #5 was blown too, and coolant had gone into cylinders. All Sh, and rust. A used low milage replacement engine will be our best bet by now.

We Got a very low milage 4.0HO out of a 96 XJ availeble,
Will this be a direct plug and play operation into his 98 ZJ?

Thx again, T

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Should be a direct swap, XJs went to OBD2 in 96 IIRC

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.